Black patch

KellyM

good morning,
I would like a little advice please prior to a potential vet visit. My velied chameleon has had a black patch on his side for the last two weeks. It doesn't seem to other him apart from looking a little dry.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 230
Hi KellyM,welcome to the forum,is that patch still on your male cham now?if the answer is yes,that might be him rubbing on somethIng too hard.Or it might be he can start shedding soon,watch him closly,but he should be fine.

That's not a rub. With the black patch on the side and smaller patches on the dorsal ridge, it looks like a burn. Although it is a bit unusual to see a burn completely on the side, not on the back and crest.

How close can your cham get to his lights?

Keep an eye on the area for any swelling, cracking, or oozing which might indicate an infection. If any of that happens, you'll need to see a vet. Burns can usually heal okay, but you will need to adjust his vines and check his temperatures to make sure he won't reburn that area.

That's not a rub. With the black patch on the side and smaller patches on the dorsal ridge, it looks like a burn. Although it is a bit unusual to see a burn completely on the side, not on the back and crest.

How close can your cham get to his lights?

Keep an eye on the area for any swelling, cracking, or oozing which might indicate an infection. If any of that happens, you'll need to see a vet. Burns can usually heal okay, but you will need to adjust his vines and check his temperatures to make sure he won't reburn that area.
Good to know ,thank you Lathis.

Thank you both, if he climbs upside down I the mesh ceiling of his house he can probably get within 2-3inches of his light but that would burn his under stomach? His nearest basking branch is around 6inches.
He used to have a small black lip but the vet said that was his pigment and surely enough it vanished. I was told the patch may be skin that didn't come off on his last shed as that's when it appeared? It's not swollen or oozing,just a little drier than the rest of him. He's very much in good spirits, in fact he always wants to come out of his house, he's so friendly. :)
Thanks again for your help.

I think burn also. It looks as if he has the beginning of a burn on his back/spikes too. I would get some Silver Sulfadiazine and apply that to the path and also to his spine area.

Thank you both, if he climbs upside down I the mesh ceiling of his house he can probably get within 2-3inches of his light but that would burn his under stomach? His nearest basking branch is around 6inches.
He used to have a small black lip but the vet said that was his pigment and surely enough it vanished. I was told the patch may be skin that didn't come off on his last shed as that's when it appeared? It's not swollen or oozing,just a little drier than the rest of him. He's very much in good spirits, in fact he always wants to come out of his house, he's so friendly. :)
Thanks again for your help.
Hi KellyM as long your precious veiled chameleon are doing good ,that will be the main priority for you,thank you for replying us back.Here is my newly learn French language,I just want to use it here for a try.
Bonne chance avec votre caméléon casqué, ont une bonne et heureuse année alphakenc

Hi KellyM as long your precious veiled chameleon are doing good ,that will be the main priority for you,thank you for replying us back.Here is my newly learn French language,I just want to use it here for a try.
Bonne chance avec votre caméléon casqué, ont une bonne et heureuse année alphakenc
Tres bien et merci

I think burn also. It looks as if he has the beginning of a burn on his back/spikes too. I would get some Silver Sulfadiazine and apply that to the path and also to his spine area.
Thank you. I've lowered one of his perches too in an attempt to discourage him from climbing on the roof and burning himself. He still is in great spirits! He's now obsessed with my Christmas tree, I need a 7ft replacement plant on the hurry.

Back
Top Bottom