Black mark?

Pistachiochameleon

Established Member
Does this look like burn marks? Or normal for veiled Cham? Light is 6 inches from basking spot and it’s sitting at 85° right now. Never seen her climb on the mesh.

Attachments

• 8FDADBA6-C3BE-4C0B-B85C-8F67471D333A.jpeg
    8FDADBA6-C3BE-4C0B-B85C-8F67471D333A.jpeg
    185.8 KB · Views: 85
  • CF53BD5E-26D2-46BA-83C6-A0D7A49371C4.jpeg
    CF53BD5E-26D2-46BA-83C6-A0D7A49371C4.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 110
Does this look like burn marks? Or normal for veiled Cham? Light is 6 inches from basking spot and it’s sitting at 85° right now. Never seen her climb on the mesh.
Please fill out this forum and paste your answers in the categories provided:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, female; I have had her for about a month but she’s no more than 6months old.

Handling - I handle her when she lets me... everyday other day. Some days, she hisses when I place my hand in her cage so I let her be.

Feeding - 8 crickets; every morning occasionally horn worms , guy loaded with carrots, acorn squash and broccoli.

Supplements - Zoo med Repti-calcium (no D3) and zoo med reptile vitamins. Dust crickets about every other feeding

watering- i use a fogger For 10-30mins, 2x a day depending on the levels. And I spray the plants and cage for about 3mins with water about 3 times a day. I have never seen her drink the drips from plants. She does open her mouth and drink when I spray her.

Fecal Description - Brown with some white matter. Pretty normal consistency not super dry, not super wet.

History - Not too much sometimes she hisses at me

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Screen cage, 2 sides have black backing to help with humidity.

Lighting - Zoo med, 60W daylight bulb. And repto sun 5.0 UVB bulb. Lights are off around 10pm in around

Temperature - Basking is at about 80, mid tank is 70 and the floor is about 65. I use a combo of thermometers probe and plastic.

Humidity - Humidity is about 60-70. Use a fogger and spray the cage. Have two sides enclosed to help. Tons of live plants.

Plants - 2 Medusa air plants, 2 Tillandsia sky plants. 1 Phalenopsis Orchid. 1 Pothos. 1 Spider plant. 1 Chinese money plant. 1Schefflera umbrella tree. Those plants are all live and inside her enclosure. Right outside her enclosure I keep an assortment of Aloes, jade and snake plants.

Placement - Next to a window, on a shelf. Her cage does get some natural light. Not a high traffic room. Top of the cage is probably 2 feet taller than me.

Location - Washington state,

supplements should no d3 every day, d3 every other week and alternating weeks multivitamin.

I see that your uvb is compact, you need a linear to keep her from developing mbd, compact doesn't provide enough uvb for a chameleon

red heat is no good it will damage a chameleons eyes.

it is most likely that she slipped and accidentally banged her nose or she climbed on the screen and got burned by the uvb

Lovely enclosure! But... your UVB lighting is no good. Please invest in a 24" T5HO linear UVB light. My personal opinion is it's simply a bruise on her bottom jaw. If you're referring to the darkened lines running along her veil than that is normal and not a burn. Also foggers aren't really ideal for chameleons. She would benefit much more from an ultrasonic cool mist humidifier in the room she's in.

Attachments

• 53581825_2082435731806067_7881559790420230144_n.jpg
    53581825_2082435731806067_7881559790420230144_n.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 49
Thank you guys was concerned that she was getting burned. I am planning on getting a bigger enclosure within the next 3 months as she grows and will upgrade to a t5 just don’t want a super large one right now with this small enclosurer.

It's
Thank you guys was concerned that she was getting burned. I am planning on getting a bigger enclosure within the next 3 months as she grows and will upgrade to a t5 just don’t want a super large one right now with this small enclosurer.
It is perfectly fine if it overhangs. You can run it diagnaly like I do as well. It's not a matter of looks or if it overhangs she needs it or she can easily develop MBD. Please get the light ASAP not in a couple months.

This is not true^. Foggers are actually PREFERRED over humidifiers. However they both should only be used during the coolest time of day for your Cham, usually very early in the morning.

I have a fogger running on a timer the first two hours the lights are on and the last hour before lights out. The fogger is outside mesh so a lot builds up and creates a drip on the plants. I also use a sprayer 3 times a day

I have a fogger running on a timer the first two hours the lights are on and the last hour before lights out. The fogger is outside mesh so a lot builds up and creates a drip on the plants. I also use a sprayer 3 times a day
I think you should switch to a 12am to 3am schedule. Temps can rise a lot in 2hrs. And the 1hr before bed is definitely not good as that’s when your viv is the hottest.

Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, female; I have had her for about a month but she’s no more than 6months old.

Handling - I handle her when she lets me... everyday other day. Some days, she hisses when I place my hand in her cage so I let her be.

Feeding - 8 crickets; every morning occasionally horn worms , guy loaded with carrots, acorn squash and broccoli.

Supplements - Zoo med Repti-calcium (no D3) and zoo med reptile vitamins. Dust crickets about every other feeding

watering- i use a fogger For 10-30mins, 2x a day depending on the levels. And I spray the plants and cage for about 3mins with water about 3 times a day. I have never seen her drink the drips from plants. She does open her mouth and drink when I spray her.

Fecal Description - Brown with some white matter. Pretty normal consistency not super dry, not super wet.

History - Not too much sometimes she hisses at me

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Screen cage, 2 sides have black backing to help with humidity.

Lighting - Zoo med, 60W daylight bulb. And repto sun 5.0 UVB bulb. Lights are off around 10pm in around

Temperature - Basking is at about 80, mid tank is 70 and the floor is about 65. I use a combo of thermometers probe and plastic.

Humidity - Humidity is about 60-70. Use a fogger and spray the cage. Have two sides enclosed to help. Tons of live plants.

Plants - 2 Medusa air plants, 2 Tillandsia sky plants. 1 Phalenopsis Orchid. 1 Pothos. 1 Spider plant. 1 Chinese money plant. 1Schefflera umbrella tree. Those plants are all live and inside her enclosure. Right outside her enclosure I keep an assortment of Aloes, jade and snake plants.

Placement - Next to a window, on a shelf. Her cage does get some natural light. Not a high traffic room. Top of the cage is probably 2 feet taller than me.

Location - Washington state,
I don’t know about a lot of those plants you have inside her enclosure. I do know the the pothos, the spider plant, and the umbrella plant are safe but I’m not sure about the others. There’s a safe plant list for a reason because lots of other plants carry toxins and pesticides. When you get a plant bring it home and wash it good. Look at this list of plants that are safe for veiled chams. https://flchams.com/chameleon-safe-plant-list/

I don’t know about a lot of those plants you have inside her enclosure. I do know the the pothos, the spider plant, and the umbrella plant are safe but I’m not sure about the others. There’s a safe plant list for a reason because lots of other plants carry toxins and pesticides. When you get a plant bring it home and wash it good. Look at this list of plants that are safe for veiled chams. https://flchams.com/chameleon-safe-plant-list/
Yeah I checked with the lists and with the nurseries first. They are all non-toxic. The only one that is debatable is the orchid but many people said they had them with no problem

I think you should switch to a 12am to 3am schedule. Temps can rise a lot in 2hrs. And the 1hr before bed is definitely not good as that’s when your viv is the hottest.

Is it okay to run from like 5-8am? I like the plants to be wet when lights come on so she can drink? Thanks for the info about the fogger I didn’t know temp played a role.

Back
Top Bottom