Black iris

Chamfam1987

OK I have a Ambanja panther chameleon. He is about a year and three months old he eats crickets Dubia roaches hornworms black soldier fly larva these are dusted every day with calcium twice a month with calcium and D3 I have a missed king water system set up he gets to five minute sessions and then a couple other short 30/40 Second mistings throughout the day
The lighting in the cage I have a 24 inch T5 with the 6% UVB and then I have a double domelight that has an incandescent 75 W bulb and also a mercury vapor basking light spotlight it’s like a solar global light there’s no define spot it’s just an ambient glow
My cage is a 24 x 24 x 48 I have 2 golden pathos real moss vines couple pieces of the grapevine wood and the rest is artificial vines and such I have a tray in the bottom that’s filled with zoo med Hydro balls and all my excess water is drained through a system I made with a monsoon misting machine it sucks the water out of the bottom the tank so there’s no stagnantWater

Yeah problem I’m having is my chameleons iris is turning black you can see is pupil you can see some of the color in his eye but you can tell that the iris is turning black everything was going good until about two weeks ago it started messing with his aim he was missing his food and now he can’t shoot his tongue out either I have a vet appointment this week

Attachments

• 52C8EBEE-9B0B-4640-9D0D-DB930345ACF2.jpeg
    52C8EBEE-9B0B-4640-9D0D-DB930345ACF2.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 7A9D8931-AD6C-41F7-A9E9-F6FEBD268B38.jpeg
    7A9D8931-AD6C-41F7-A9E9-F6FEBD268B38.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 95
  • CD07D395-15B8-4DA3-BD46-BB563817CD77.png
    CD07D395-15B8-4DA3-BD46-BB563817CD77.png
    641.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 53D269C9-CC6E-4599-8B25-C9C7D94AC24D.jpeg
    53D269C9-CC6E-4599-8B25-C9C7D94AC24D.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 101
Can you post pics of the exact supplements your using?

What Mercury Vapor bulb are you using. You do not need this bulb. These are 2 in 1 bulbs for heat and UVB. Placing them on cham cages without a solarmeter to check the UVI is very dangerous because the levels of UVB it puts out is high and the heat output is high. This can cause issues of overexposure.

Can you fill out the health form below please with detail?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Can you post pics of the exact supplements your using?

What Mercury Vapor bulb are you using. You do not need this bulb. These are 2 in 1 bulbs for heat and UVB. Placing them on cham cages without a solarmeter to check the UVI is very dangerous because the levels of UVB it puts out is high and the heat output is high. This can cause issues of overexposure.

Can you fill out the health form below please with detail?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Mercury vapor bulb by chose to use because I need light along with heat and that one did it put my temperature exactly were I wanted it I have uvb exposure cards And I’m going to post pics of the supplements right now

And I also been switching up his lightbulbs because I thought maybe that had something to do with his eye problem maybe it was the lightbulbs so I had one of those coil UVB bulbs I thought that was the problem because everybody said they were hurting the chameleons so I switched it from that to a different coil type which nothing changed and then I went to the mercury vapor And his energy definitely changed when I switch to that light and he had more energy and then in a little shortly after that is when he stopped eating I’ve only had this mercury vapor maybe a month

Attachments

• 0D12825D-58F3-4D7E-81A3-302DA32E9307.jpeg
    0D12825D-58F3-4D7E-81A3-302DA32E9307.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 76
  • 06124FE0-43C2-4F83-9CAF-65908FF98C52.png
    06124FE0-43C2-4F83-9CAF-65908FF98C52.png
    641.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 8418188E-73EA-4ED9-9E5C-33890DAEDF4C.jpeg
    8418188E-73EA-4ED9-9E5C-33890DAEDF4C.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 77
Do you not use a plain calcium supplement?

You should be using either a Reptisun 5.0 long linear tube light or Arcadia 6 long linear tube light for UVB and a regular white incandescent (not LED) household bulb for a basking light.

Mercury vapor bulb by chose to use because I need light along with heat and that one did it put my temperature exactly were I wanted it I have uvb exposure cards And I’m going to post pics of the supplements right now
Ok but these are dangerous. That is what I am trying to say. They can cause all sorts of issues even the ones your speaking of. If the cham is being exposed to very high levels. You want to remove it and go with a standard incandescent 40 watt bulb.
your UVB cards do not tell you the exact exposure level your getting there.

If you are using all those supplements you are also overdosing on fat soluble vitamins. Which can cause issues with shooting and aim.

You should only be using the reptivite with D3 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th and then a plain phos free no D3 calcium at all other feedings.

I can change my bulb my vitamins schedule is that what you just said the reason I’ve had the vitamin A+ is because I thought he had a vitamin D deficiency so every guess it was once a month putting that on his crickets

Do you not use a plain calcium supplement?

You should be using either a Reptisun 5.0 long linear tube light or Arcadia 6 long linear tube light for UVB and a regular white incandescent (not LED) household bulb for a basking light.
Yes using all that have Regis in on big guy and Arcadia on female

For supplements I recommend a phos free calcium powder dusted lightly in the insects just before you feed them to the chameleon at all feedings but one a week. On that one feeding alternate between a phos free calcium/D3 powder lightly and a vitamin powder with a preformed source of vitamin A in it lightly.

For supplements I recommend a phos free calcium powder dusted lightly in the insects just before you feed them to the chameleon at all feedings but one a week. On that one feeding alternate between a phos free calcium/D3 powder lightly and a vitamin powder with a preformed source of vitamin A in it lightly.
image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom