Black fly Larvae

tarrynh011

Hi all,
I received an order for BSFL and for some reason both my chameleons "turn" their noses up at it ?‍♀️ my male has investigated them about 3 times (just looking) and the female looked at them once and walked away... The male is definitely the better eater of the two and he is slightly bigger in size in comparison to the female so im not sure if she got intimidated by them...
I know that they have not even tried them but have left a few in each of their bowls in hopes they would sample them..
Is their a trick to get the chams to eat them?
Or did I waste my money ?!?

It can take time to get them to try new feeders. Keep putting a few in their cups with the other feeders. If they start turning into flies then you can put them into the enclosure as well. They will hunt them.

Hi Beman, they really are very curious at these weird looking things in their bowl.. its so funny. I hand misted a few drops of water into the bowl and my gosh the larvae became so active that they started to climb up the bowl and dangle on the brim, the male however litterly walked straight over the top of the bowl and did nothing.
Will keep trying as suggested

Hi Beman, they really are very curious at these weird looking things in their bowl.. its so funny. I hand misted a few drops of water into the bowl and my gosh the larvae became so active that they started to climb up the bowl and dangle on the brim, the male however litterly walked straight over the top of the bowl and did nothing.
Will keep trying as suggested
Yeah they can climb surfaces if they are wet... So just something to consider. They are quite good at escaping that way.

Don't feed your chams for couple of days, maybe 3, 4 days, and reintroduce the bsfl again, it won't hurt them and if they get hungry enough they will eat them, sometimes it's hard to make them try new things, this always worked for me, they may even fall in love with it so much that later on that will be all they want to eat, then again, little feeding break will turn them in to the right direction.

Don't feed your chams for couple of days, maybe 3, 4 days, and reintroduce the bsfl again, it won't hurt them and if they get hungry enough they will eat them, sometimes it's hard to make them try new things, this always worked for me, they may even fall in love with it so much that later on that will be all they want to eat, then again, little feeding break will turn them in to the right direction.
Thanks Ridick ill try that.

My panther took some serious warming up to try the bsfl and never really loved them. I had to hold the cup and slowly rotate to make them look more active and enticing. Eventually I just sat the cup at the bottom of his enclosure and theyve been pupating for the past week or 2. He LOVES the flies. I've never seen him move so quickly. Maybe let them pupate and see what he thinks?

My panther took some serious warming up to try the bsfl and never really loved them. I had to hold the cup and slowly rotate to make them look more active and enticing. Eventually I just sat the cup at the bottom of his enclosure and theyve been pupating for the past week or 2. He LOVES the flies. I've never seen him move so quickly. Maybe let them pupate and see what he thinks?
Thank you I will try that

Have you tried hand feeding? I know its kinda weird to have em wriggle on you but it might help stimulate them if you hold one in front of them. Works for my guy, great feeder! Hope they take to it! ?

If You are in Florida, then Discoid roaches will be your legal and best option, they are great, I prefer them over Dubias, and so do my chams.

Have you tried hand feeding? I know its kinda weird to have em wriggle on you but it might help stimulate them if you hold one in front of them. Works for my guy, great feeder! Hope they take to it! ?
Thanks Kamikaze, can't say I'm willing to try it would just freak me out to much ha ha. I dont mind handling the odd cricket that escapes but a "maggot" eewwee ha ha ha

Back
Top Bottom