Black Cham

Kalibr03

My new cham came today from FL Chams. DHL left him sitting outside our other door even though me and roomate were home all day. Anways when I took him out he was black, he still is very dark colors. Dark green, brown and sometimes close to black. I'm guessing its because he's stressed or angry, but just checking if I should worry. I plan on having very little contact with him till tomorrow. Hopefully he will be normal colors by then.

stress and cold!

Do you have him all set up? Not sure where you live, but it won't take much for his little body to cool down, so give him a nice branch under his basking light. Keep in mind that they turn dark while basking as well in order to absorb more heat. How old is he?

Jake,

He should settle down here soon as long as your setup is good. He's around 2 1/2 months old. He had some really nice markings before I shipped him. I'm calling DHL and complaining about their delivering practices. This is ridiculous. The problem is I hear complaints about all carriers. I've had Nightmares dealing with UPS losing packages or delivering them days later when they promised 10:30am Delivery.

The important thing is that the little guy is there safe and sound.

Thanks again Jake!

Chameleons under stress will turn black at times, as well as when they are cold and they are trying to retain heat. I have had chameleons turn black after shipment to me as well, and after they have adjusted to their new surroundings and feel safe and warm again, they retain their normal coloration. Give him some time. Black colorations are definitely due to stressful situations, as well as turning black to absorb heat into their body.

It is weird, but I've heard stories about all the carriers and some areas have better luck with some than others. I have had customers tell me that "x" carrier delivers the best for them, and have had other customers in other areas tell me the exact opposite about the same carrier.

For me, here in Maryland where I live, UPS is always right here every day at the same time, whereas DHL is "iffy." And then, other customers tell me, UPS is hardly ever on time here, DHL is best for me. I guess it depends on the reliability of the particular service you get in the area of which you live.

Double edge sword I guess with these guys.

Give him time to relax, some nice hydration, food and let him adjust without bothering him much for a few days to remove the stress. This will help.

all better

I went over to my cage to check him out and I couldn't find him until I heard a "whack" and seen him chomping on a cricket right in front of me. He cruised for a bit more and then went to bask. After that he went back to cruising and turned his normal green. I must say the chameleon's color change ability to show their mood is VERY COOL. I live in the Upper Peninsula of MI so DHL isn't as prevalant up here. Mike from FL Chams is awsome and I have had like 1000x better experience from him instead of Ray. Glad I found him and glad to have little Buddha now. Pictures will most likely be up tomorrow.

It is weird, but I've heard stories about all the carriers and some areas have better luck with some than others. I have had customers tell me that "x" carrier delivers the best for them, and have had other customers in other areas tell me the exact opposite about the same carrier.... I guess it depends on the reliability of the particular service you get in the area of which you live.
I think you are right. I do not have a lot of experience with receiving animals overnight, but when making most non-animal purchases I prefer to use fedex over ups or usps . They always seem to arrive in the morning at a consistent time, where as the ups guys usually drop off my packages at the end of the day. Sometimes ups will run out of time and push my deliver to the following day; this never happens with fedex. Friends from other areas have similar and opposing situations.

Kalibr03: Good to see your new chameleon is already getting used to his new home. It can sometimes take days for a chameleon to start eating after shipment, so this is great news. Looking forward to pictures of Budha :)

I just had an order of r. brevs come in today. They were delivered by DHL, and were supposed to be here by 10:30 a.m. They made it at 2:30 p.m. Good thing is that all 6 are in great shape and adjusting well! And, since DHL guarantees a 10:30 a.m. delivery or free shipping... :D

My last live order came from Fed Ex, and they were on my door step before 9 a.m.

Heika

And for me, Fed Ex doesn't arrive until late afternoon! lol

In all my shipments to my customers however, I have used UPS and all have arrived on time *knocks on wood*.

By the way Kali... I'm glad your chameleon is adjusted and eating already! This is a very good sign :). Congrats on your new chameleon!

Back
Top Bottom