Black ash type skin

Shellbelle

Hi guys
So I have had my first reptile, a chameleon, for 2 months now.
He shed over a week ago (first one) all looked good. But yesterday and today I have seen he has flakey black ash looking stuff on his head and face. When I gently blow it, it comes off. He is grumpy - less then when he shed but we are handling him still.
Any info would be great.

It’s just parts of shed that didn’t come off yet. It will eventually you don’t need to blow in him hahaha. Handle him only if he comes on you with free will. Good luck and welcome to the forums!

16BB69D9-7E0E-4589-A1B2-3B0696981465.jpeg

this was beans yesterday

52CE835A-78E3-4AD6-8CBE-0B221ED5BE93.jpeg

Attachments

• FE1DB35A-1BCA-4DA7-ABCC-9A6ABF473BE6.jpeg
    FE1DB35A-1BCA-4DA7-ABCC-9A6ABF473BE6.jpeg
    257 KB · Views: 112
  • D93F638C-7608-4F83-940F-C9F82524C099.jpeg
    D93F638C-7608-4F83-940F-C9F82524C099.jpeg
    221.8 KB · Views: 81
All of this was sold to us new from the pet store when we bought him. He advised us to get everything including the coir. We completely clean everything every 2 weeks and change the bedding.
the black stuff has only appeared 2 weeks ago- we have have him 2 months now.

All of this was sold to us new from the pet store when we bought him. He advised us to get everything including the coir. We completely clean everything every 2 weeks and change the bedding.
the black stuff has only appeared 2 weeks ago- we have have him 2 months now.

Ok well I hate to tell you this but the enclosure is set up completely wrong. To have dirt like that in the bottom you have to have it done like in this blog. Then it is actually bio active. Right now that is just a bacteria breeding ground and a mud pit. He is playing in the dirt.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/intro-to-bio-activity.2429/

Lighting is incorrect as well. Are you using the red bulb? If so that needs to be removed immediately and replaced with a regular incandescent bulb. Also you need a T5HO fixture with a 5.0 uvb bulb rather then the compact bulb that is in that double dome fixture. The compacts are useless with Chameleons.

What is your humidity level you are getting in the enclosure? I am a bit concerned with him being in this enclosure. For a newbie glass is typically not recommended. Everything with the hydration cycle has to be very carefully done to avoid the chameleon getting a respiratory infection.
I prefer dragon strand enclosures. https://dragonstrand.com/

Ok well I hate to tell you this but the enclosure is set up completely wrong. To have dirt like that in the bottom you have to have it done like in this blog. Then it is actually bio active. Right now that is just a bacteria breeding ground and a mud pit. He is playing in the dirt.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/intro-to-bio-activity.2429/

Lighting is incorrect as well. Are you using the red bulb? If so that needs to be removed immediately and replaced with a regular incandescent bulb. Also you need a T5HO fixture with a 5.0 uvb bulb rather then the compact bulb that is in that double dome fixture. The compacts are useless with Chameleons.

What is your humidity level you are getting in the enclosure? I am a bit concerned with him being in this enclosure. For a newbie glass is typically not recommended. Everything with the hydration cycle has to be very carefully done to avoid the chameleon getting a respiratory infection.
I prefer dragon strand enclosures. https://dragonstrand.com/
Thanks for your feedback. We spent £500 on the set up so I can’t afford to purchase a whole new tank.
what would you suggest I do for starters? The bulbs are again what we were advised. A red light for heat and a uv bulb. We have struggled to keep the temp high so i Got a heat Mat that’s helped.

Thanks for your feedback. We spent £500 on the set up so I can’t afford to purchase a whole new tank.
what would you suggest I do for starters? The bulbs are again what we were advised. A red light for heat and a uv bulb. We have struggled to keep the temp high so i Got a heat Mat that’s helped.
Ok so I would follow that blog and make it truly bio active. Then you have permanent plants that you can get and add horizontal branches up higher for proper levels.
Instead of the red bulb (red bulbs can hurt their eyes) you need a regular incandescent house hold bulb. For uvb you need a t5ho fixture with a 6% arcadia bulb or 5.0 zoo med bulb. the fixture should run the width of that enclosure and be placed in the middle.

Can you fill this out with detail for me. I am a little concerned with the idea of using a mat and how that is effecting your humidity levels. Since you already got a lot of incorrect info I would like to go over the information below with you.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male Yemen, young - less than a year old. Got him in the middle of March this year
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Daily (mostly)
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Feeding him 4 medium locusts. fed first thing at breakfast.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Dip the locust in ProRep Calci Dust
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? We have a water fall in the tank and mist in the morning - all the plants and back wall and again in the afternoon. I have never seen him actually drink
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Solid black or white chalky - not tested for parasites.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Exo terra Glass with screen top 92 x 45 x 45 cm
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Zoo Med mini combo deep dome dual lamp. 1 UV bulb and 1 red heat bulb. lights on between 7am and 7pm.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? we have a habistat digital thermostat set at 30c for the day and 18c for the night. We have struggled to achieve a high temp with our present set up.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? We were told that the thermostat gave a reading and that covered the humidity.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes I have looked at what plants are safe and used aquarium substrate in the pots. I have spider plants and cheese plants in there.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Cage is in a large room on an outside wall of the house by a bright window draught free. its a low - medium traffic area and is sat on a coffee table.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? We are south coast England (Kent) in the countryside.

Back
Top Bottom