Bird Cage into Cham Enclosure

melric

Avid Member
So I was thinking I would turn my old bird cage into an enclosure. Any ideas on how to go about it? It's really big and I could probably split into two enclosures. I'm thinking some squared chicken wire? Beauty of it is that it has a pull out tray at the bottom which would make cleaning a lot easier. Plus I could use larger plants.

I wass also wondering about this. It would be logical right?

I would think so. Especially if your blue and gold macaw flew away one day and now you have no use for it, lol.

Maybe I could also screw in some plexiglass to the sides or back to keep in the humidty.

Haha. Your comment made me lol.
I had a real big enclosure that was used for mating macaws. My uncle had passed it down. Since I didnt have a use for I left it down in Port Arthur. I could make a good 4 or 5 enclosures from that.

Yes it was a very sad day for me. He would usually sit outside of his cage fine. I hadn't clipped his wings in months and then he decided, "I'm outta here." Tear...

So I was thinking I would turn my old bird cage into an enclosure. Any ideas on how to go about it? It's really big and I could probably split into two enclosures. I'm thinking some squared chicken wire? Beauty of it is that it has a pull out tray at the bottom which would make cleaning a lot easier. Plus I could use larger plants.

A few months ago there was a thread on this, and another one about a year ago. Pros and cons, how to's, etc. Do a quick "bird cage" search, and that should give you lots of ideas. If you decide to go ahead with it, be sure to post pics of your set up!

Here is what I found. https://www.chameleonforums.com/large-bird-cage-51687/ everyone seems to be against buying one, but I already own one. Bird cages are designed to be misted with the type of paint they have on them. Anti-rust.

I was thinking of putting plexiglass on the inside at the bottom portion of the cage that way feeders wont escape. Cup feeding in a deep cup, or a cricket keeper could work too. The top half could be screen, but I'm not sure what type of screen to use or where to get it.

Edit: Aluminum or Nylon?

Back
Top Bottom