bioactive

Root pouch with sides folded down and drainage layer placed.
0F259CDC-28A7-46BE-9F30-A906F019A434.jpeg
Landscape fabric to separate layers.
A0EF160F-CCDA-4383-8996-2963E5C5FD84.jpeg
Soil substrate mix added (organic soil, play sand, coco coir, etc)
AC1837D7-8C05-44A0-B41B-CE736F39D16A.jpeg
Almost forgot the horticultural charcoal.
E112D7EF-00CF-48EC-B9F9-BAC56B02A42E.jpeg
Added plants.
7B19426F-861A-461E-9A86-8D475758B5A7.jpeg
Added chameleon.
AF3A0713-E337-4698-969C-F1379B2B5F04.jpeg
Added clean up crew (isopods and springtails), leaf litter and Chuck of cork for cuc to hide under.
5058A0EA-1B77-4A1C-A699-C21C4F594CF5.jpeg
Finished product.
5C5D8F15-9F31-4160-9317-B51E2FA38866.jpeg

Root pouch with sides folded down and drainage layer placed.
View attachment 322309
Landscape fabric to separate layers.
View attachment 322310
Soil substrate mix added (organic soil, play sand, coco coir, etc)
View attachment 322311
Almost forgot the horticultural charcoal.
View attachment 322312
Added plants.
View attachment 322313
Added chameleon.
View attachment 322314
Added clean up crew (isopods and springtails), leaf litter and Chuck of cork for cuc to hide under.
View attachment 322315
Finished product.
View attachment 322316
thank you so much this is perfect!

The pouches are round and I’ve found the 45 gal size works very well at fitting into the corners. If you have too much of the pouch sticking up, it will eventually fold down over your substrate unless you have it propped into shape. You can see I took advantage of a branch and tucked it underneath.
I used clay balls for my drainage layer (I was finally able to find/get some), but previously I have used lava rock and that worked just as well.
I did add more play sand and less coco coir as this is for a little girl who will eventually be needing to dig for egg laying. I forgot to add in some chopped up sphagnum moss, but no problem as again, it’s for a girl and could make her digging a bit harder.
Unfortunately I just dumped my isopod bin straight in and as it was going in, I found some Surinam roaches had been living in with my isopods. (Used to have a colony of them). To prevent potential pest problems (say that 10 times fast) I undid the entire thing and haven’t yet set it up again.

Always, always I forget stuff I wanted to say. :rolleyes:
If you are making for a girl, just make sure to keep your substrate around 5-6” deep so the little honey won’t have to exert so much energy digging deeper. Since my little girl is quite little, when I redo it I’ll probably make it around 4-5” deep for her.

Thanks for re-sharing your bioactive set up, MissSkittles. My male's cage is a bare bottom (with tons of potted plants and plant stands) but I am going to convert it to bioactive because I really like the bioactive set-up I have in the female's cage. Of course hers had a 6" tall glass bottom so I didn't have to deal with finding a container for the bioactive materials so this cage will be more challenging. I ordered a root bag from Home Depot but I also ordered these from Amazon.... I'm debating which will work better. Your thoughts? There will probably be some seepage through the zipper portion of the clear plastic bags, but I'm guessing you get some seepage from the root pouch too, right?

I was so excited to finally find something that had the appropriate dimensions but not sure if the plastic bags have a downside that I'm not thinking of.
Your thoughts?
Sue

Thanks for re-sharing your bioactive set up, MissSkittles. My male's cage is a bare bottom (with tons of potted plants and plant stands) but I am going to convert it to bioactive because I really like the bioactive set-up I have in the female's cage. Of course hers had a 6" tall glass bottom so I didn't have to deal with finding a container for the bioactive materials so this cage will be more challenging. I ordered a root bag from Home Depot but I also ordered these from Amazon.... I'm debating which will work better. Your thoughts? There will probably be some seepage through the zipper portion of the clear plastic bags, but I'm guessing you get some seepage from the root pouch too, right?

I was so excited to finally find something that had the appropriate dimensions but not sure if the plastic bags have a downside that I'm not thinking of.
Your thoughts?
Sue
If using a glass or other watertight container, you’ll need to create a way to remove the excess drainage from the drainage layer. Most usually use a piece of pvc piping notched at one end that is placed down to the very bottom and extends thru the substrate layers and is capped. When needing to remove excess drainage, you can use a little siphon pump or a wet vac. Without a way to remove excess, it will sit and become stagnant and get nasty. I like the root pouch in a screen enclosure as the pouch is breathable and gets air circulation around it. I’ve never really noticed any excess seepage, but that’s where the substrate tray comes in to contain it. Plastic won’t have that permeability so you’d need to create the pvc drainage system.

Hmmmmm, good point. I can see standing water in the drainage layer of my bioactive set up that has the glass bottom - I didn't really that water was getting nasty so I better get in there and get some out. I was assuming it was dissipating and refilling on a regular basis but I will go set up a way to siphon some out now. Thanks.
Sue

Depending on cage your using can just make wooden box to set cage on for bioactive. Just seal it put drain on bottom

It's a Dragon Strand cage and has drainage holes drilled into the PVC bottom which then puts the water into the drip tray. (y)

Haven't purchased that stuff for my new cage yet so haven't figured that out yet, but I do remember from doing a slightly smaller cage that it got QUITE costly. Maybe Miss Skittles will chime in with her expertise.
Sue

I had bought the rectangular 2x4’ one for my boys’ double sized enclosures. I didn’t realize they came in 2x2’ also. I did get them from Home Depot though, so maybe they didn’t have them. I cut the dividers and they work great.
how much clay balls and soil and spagna moss for a 2 by 2 by 4 enclosure

Back
Top Bottom