Bioactive Substrate

emilhayek

Established Member
How does my substrate look?? I used two bags for organic potting soil. Half bag of reptibark, 1 8qt bag of spag moss, a very generous part of sand. I’m thinking about getting another bag of soil and adding it. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• EE11BEBC-EA86-4A17-9F3F-E440D089EF62.png
    EE11BEBC-EA86-4A17-9F3F-E440D089EF62.png
    727.1 KB · Views: 51

summerseeking

Avid Member
I think that’s a good idea. I saw your recipe in the other post. I added my recipe below for comparison, it’s been great so far. I added more soil than one part, it was more like a part and a half.

• One part soil (I used fox farm ocean forrest)
  • One part coarse additive (fine bark, orchid bark, reptibark)
  • One to two parts moisture additive (sphagnum moss)
  • One part sand additive (play sand, reptile sand, something with grit)

Klyde O'Scope

Chameleon Enthusiast
Oops... I should have said, "Pots can be covered with river pebbles." :oops:
The pots in my cham enclosure are covered, however...
  • It's going to come up with folks planning/building bioactive enclosures
  • I'm building another (different non-bioactive) enclosure, and we're having trouble finding perlite-free soil

ERKleRose

Chameleon Enthusiast
That doesn't have perlite, but that other type of thing that's like a lightweight stone perlite thing that's better for the environment. I forgot what it's called

Klyde O'Scope

Chameleon Enthusiast
Pumice—like perlite—is a volcanic rock. Among other things, it's the gritty stuff in Lava soap, and it floats on water. I'd consider it an "etc." (impaction hazard) in my OP.

ERKleRose

Chameleon Enthusiast
Same. I use the Ocean Forest for potted plants and just a little bit in my bioactive cages (I don't have females, so I don't have to worry about digging). I use ABG mixes and other soils and add in my own amendments for my roach and isopod bins and bioactive cages

Top Bottom