Bioactive substrate for hatchlings

aapuzzo

What should I use as a bioactive substrate for my hatchlings? I typically keep dart frogs which everybody swears by ABG but with Chameleons I get different search results because ABG has bigger pieces and chameleons can eat the substrate. I was thinking reptisoil or just regular organic potting soil if its the same thing on a few inch hydroton/clay ball false bottom. Since I make my own ABG and have all the parts I could mix in a little of something else. I read the larger carbon pieces and orchid/firbark is what is bad for Chameleons. I could just keep potted plants in the enclosure instead of making the entire bottom soil based but I don't think that would look as good and it would raise the height of the plant up since the pot would have to be much deeper in a hatchling enclosure.

I see people using them on YouTube videos when I search hatchlings or baby chameleons. I have questions about it too. Some say no cause baby enclosures need to be cleaned weekly. I thought the point of bioactive was it works to compost. & Helps so that no bacteria grows... Right? Mine are due around April so I'm trying to get everything ready ahead of time.

Back
Top Bottom