bioactive so many questions?

xxaprilrose

Established Member
I have NEVER done bioactive before. My current enclosure is not, but heavily planted. I have a 32x18x32 glass enclosure that I plan to get a second chameleon to put in and may do bioactive? I have so many questions! Also the enclosure is smaller than recommended but I plan on adding the cage/screen 32x18x32 and attaching it to the top when he grows out a bit so in the end it will be HUGE. The glass is because this one will be inside my house which my a/c sucks almost all humidity out of my house during the summer and winters are usually very dry. I do have some questions about bioactive though:

1. will the bugs escape? I would hate to have bugs all over my livingroom
2. does it smell? I have a strong nose for smells lol
3. I saw that even with bioactive, you still need to clean up any poop.. but my follow up question is what do the isopods and springtails eat then? I always thought they were the cleanup crew. Taking care of plans AND the poop/urate
4. Would you recommend the bio dude kit or the one from josh's frogs?
5. If I did not go bioactive, have you successfully kept humidity levels with just plants inside a house with a strong a/c unit? For example my humidity in my house right now is 48% and its summer... no idea how winter will be lol

Thanks so much for any assistance!

I have NEVER done bioactive before. My current enclosure is not, but heavily planted. I have a 32x18x32 glass enclosure that I plan to get a second chameleon to put in and may do bioactive? I have so many questions! Also the enclosure is smaller than recommended but I plan on adding the cage/screen 32x18x32 and attaching it to the top when he grows out a bit so in the end it will be HUGE. The glass is because this one will be inside my house which my a/c sucks almost all humidity out of my house during the summer and winters are usually very dry. I do have some questions about bioactive though:

1. will the bugs escape? I would hate to have bugs all over my livingroom
2. does it smell? I have a strong nose for smells lol
3. I saw that even with bioactive, you still need to clean up any poop.. but my follow up question is what do the isopods and springtails eat then? I always thought they were the cleanup crew. Taking care of plans AND the poop/urate
4. Would you recommend the bio dude kit or the one from josh's frogs?
5. If I did not go bioactive, have you successfully kept humidity levels with just plants inside a house with a strong a/c unit? For example my humidity in my house right now is 48% and its summer... no idea how winter will be lol

Thanks so much for any assistance!
1. Bugs don’t escape. If you have the proper enclosure.
2. I only get a slight “wet plant” smell out of my terrarium. Kinda refreshing.
3. The isopods eat the poop. They also eat the crickets that get stuck down there. Springtails eat the bacteria and mold.
4. I started my bioactive enclosure with a kit from bio dude. Local pet stores usually carry isopods and springtail cultures if you need to add more. Amazon also has some too.
5. An ac unit removes moisture from the area it’s at. Proper husbandry for your situation should be looked into.

Back
Top Bottom