Bioactive Questions

hiddenflaws

Avid Member
Hi! I will be switching to bioactive ASAP when Pascal's new terrarium comes in. I am ordering him the Exo Terra 36" x 18" x 36" (L X W X H) Glass Terrarium. However, I have questions. A lot of these are based off of your opinions. I have a male veiled chameleon for those who need/want to know. ((( :

1. What spray foam and silicon would you recommend? Where can I find both of these? A link would be greatly appreciated if it's online.

2. Judging on the size of the tank, how long do you think I should let the finished bioactive setup sit before being able to add Pascal (My chameleon) into the terrarium?

3. What would be some great starter plants to add? This is more of an opinion and I would love to have some plants that involves flowers in my enclosure! I am mainly asking to get an idea of what to add and to explore more plants and know what will be safe for my boy. ((( :

4. If you've done bioactive before, how much did it cost for all of the supplies? I understand that this can depend on cage size and such!

5. What types of substrate and biodegradables would you recommend?

6. What kind of bugs and other stuff should I add into the soil?

7. What drainage system/technic do you like? I am planning on using hydroton for drainage, but would love to hear opinions and other suggestions! Keep in mind that I have a glass cage.

8. What are your tips for a bioactive husbandry? Any idea of what I should do/add to my set up when I start? I would love some creative ideas!

*** If you don't know anything about bioactive, please tag someone in the comments that you know can help answer these questions and offer tips!

Last edited:
Hi! I will be switching to bioactive ASAP when Pascal's new terrarium comes in. I am ordering him the Exo Terra 36" x 18" x 36" (L X W X H) Glass Terrarium. However, I have questions. A lot of these are based off of your opinions. I have a male veiled chameleon for those who need/want to know. ((( :

1. What spray foam and silicon would you recommend? Where can I find both of these? A link would be greatly appreciated if it's online.For foam I’m using Great Stuff, I believe that’s what most of us use. And silicone, I believe it’s any type as long as it dries all the way

2. Judging on the size of the tank, how long do you think I should let the finished bioactive setup sit before being able to add Pascal (My chameleon) into the terrarium? Most people say 2-3 weeks no matter what size.

3. What would be some great starter plants to add? This is more of an opinion and I would love to have some plants that involves flowers in my enclosure! I am mainly asking to get an idea of what to add and to explore more plants and know what will be safe for my boy. ((( : Pothos, Wandering Jew, and polka dot plant.

4. If you've done bioactive before, how much did it cost for all of the supplies? I understand that this can depend on cage size and such! Mine ATM is around 539$ but I am building it from scratch

5. What types of soil and biodegradables would you recommend? All natures land no fertilizer.

6. What kind of bugs and other stuff should I add into the soil? Isopods and springtails are most common and most efficient. You can also use red wrigglers

7. What drainage system/technic do you like? I am planning on using hydroton for drainage, but would love to hear opinions and other suggestions! Keep in mind that I have a glass cage. I’m using the siphon technique that @GoodKarma19 showed me here’s the panning that she drew up:

8. What are your tips for a bioactive husbandry? Any idea of what I should do/add to my set up when I start? I would love some creative ideas! Carve the foam to look like rocks, use all natural branches, and you can never have too many plants. Keep in mind that any space (within reason) is wasted space.

*** If you don't know anything about bioactive, please tag someone in the comments that you know can help answer these questions and offer tips! @Brodybreaux25 @jamest0o0 @Decadancin

1. What spray foam and silicon would you recommend? Where can I find both of these? A link would be greatly appreciated if it's online.

2. Judging on the size of the tank, how long do you think I should let the finished bioactive setup sit before being able to add Pascal (My chameleon) into the terrarium?

3. What would be some great starter plants to add? This is more of an opinion and I would love to have some plants that involves flowers in my enclosure! I am mainly asking to get an idea of what to add and to explore more plants and know what will be safe for my boy. ((( :

4. If you've done bioactive before, how much did it cost for all of the supplies? I understand that this can depend on cage size and such!

5. What types of soil and biodegradables would you recommend?

6. What kind of bugs and other stuff should I add into the soil?

7. What drainage system/technic do you like? I am planning on using hydroton for drainage, but would love to hear opinions and other suggestions! Keep in mind that I have a glass cage.

8. What are your tips for a bioactive husbandry? Any idea of what I should do/add to my set up when I start? I would love some creative ideas!

*** If you don't know anything about bioactive, please tag someone in the comments that you know can help answer these questions and offer tips!
Great stuff pond and stone foam is prefered, although ive used used the regular tan colored Great stuff gaps and cracks without an issue. Youll need a 100% silicone none with mold inhibitors or any of that. IMO the longer it sits the better, i usually dont add the chameleon in for 2 weeks minimum.
Starter plants, could go for pothos and the brazilian variant which is beautiful, wondering jew. Look up nepenthes these tend to do well in glass enclosures, Orchids do well in them as well. Price can quickly add up with plants, silicone, foam, isopods, spring tails, substrate ect....
Can make your own soil or buy an abg mix. I make my own with a base of zoomed reptisoil, orchid bark, charcol, sphag moss and sand.
Isopods i prefer dwarf whites and spring tails would be some of the most easy microfauna to get started with. Hydroton is a good drainage layer it is somewhat light weight. Could also use a false botton with light diffuser as well if you want to go light weight.
I would add a computer fan or 2 drawing air out of the terrarium to help with airflow.
Very very brief and vague answers to your questions, there are tons or tweeks and endless possibities you can do with bioactive.

Back
Top Bottom