Bioactive Mentor

This could be said about literally anything in the viv
Right but I recall reading somewhere that coconut husk was particularly harmful. But then again, when you read enough, you end up with a lot of crazy opinions. I do think it was in regard to leaf litter though.

Right but I recall reading somewhere that coconut husk was particularly harmful. But then again, when you read enough, you end up with a lot of crazy opinions. I do think it was in regard to leaf litter though.

It was probably the liner thing. The liner can shed very long strands of coconut fiber. I read an article about that the other day.

Last edited:
Well it’s good to know. As I have to replace peat moss I will give eco earth a try.

There is another good option for Chameleons especially.

Those Virgin Cork Tiles, zoomed sells some but so do other businesses for your walls and such.

My huge Viv uses it as walls, and a good thing about it, is the Cham can safely scale it, without worry of nail damage like screen.

I have noticed, it can be a little slippery for them. When mine is scaling it, sometimes he will lose footing with a foot, he hasn't fallen off, but sometimes he loses some traction it seems. However that likely happens when they scale large trees in the wild too. He seemingly knows, how to scale it. He goes very slow, and is selective of feet placement.

I'm not sure if chams can or will climb the great stuff walls never seen it. However they defiantly can and will climb the cork walls.

IMO it's more natural for chameleon walls as well. The great stuff and ecoearth approach I have always felt, was trying to imitate a cut or a groove in the soil, which is great for frogs that live down there, but feels off to me for a Chameleon.

I like tree fern panels for chameleons too, good for mounting epiphytes to. However that's more expensive than cork by quite a bit.

My biggest complaint about the cork tiles, is they don't make one that is 24 wide. They make them for their Vivariums they say, and they are max 18 wide and 24 tall. It's hard to find other folks with 24w too. Only one I found, wants outrageous price for it.

There is another good option for Chameleons especially.

Those Virgin Cork Tiles, zoomed sells some but so do other businesses for your walls and such.

My huge Viv uses it as walls, and a good thing about it, is the Cham can safely scale it, without worry of nail damage like screen.

I have noticed, it can be a little slippery for them. When mine is scaling it, sometimes he will lose footing with a foot, he hasn't fallen off, but sometimes he loses some traction it seems. However that likely happens when they scale large trees in the wild too. He seemingly knows, how to scale it. He goes very slow, and is selective of feet placement.

I'm not sure if chams can or will climb the great stuff walls never seen it. However they defiantly can and will climb the cork walls.

IMO it's more natural for chameleon walls as well. The great stuff and ecoearth approach I have always felt, was trying to imitate a cut or a groove in the soil, which is great for frogs that live down there, but feels off to me for a Chameleon.

I like tree fern panels for chameleons too, good for mounting epiphytes to. However that's more expensive than cork by quite a bit.

My biggest complaint about the cork tiles, is they don't make one that is 24 wide. They make them for their Vivariums they say, and they are max 18 wide and 24 tall. It's hard to find other folks with 24w too. Only one I found, wants outrageous price for it.
My wall is about 60% covered with large pieces of cork bark and rounds that I got from biodude. I just used the foam to attach and fill in between. I like the look a lot better than all one or the other.

@Brodybreaux25 about how many cans of flex seal did you use for this project? I'm going to be using some as well for the enclosure that I'm building, and it would be good to maybe buy some now while I can...

@Brodybreaux25 about how many cans of flex seal did you use for this project? I'm going to be using some as well for the enclosure that I'm building, and it would be good to maybe buy some now while I can...
It’s been a while, so without reading the thread again I recall @Brodybreaux25 used epoxy, not flex seal. Flex seal doesn’t cover very well. I don’t think 1 qt would even cover 1 full coat on an enclosure the size of his. If I were relying solely on flex seal, I would buy a gallon.

Hi glad I came across this thread I'm getting 2 muji panther enclosures soon with 3 solid panels and was debating what to use on them to create living walls. I had fern panels in mind

Hi glad I came across this thread I'm getting 2 muji panther enclosures soon with 3 solid panels and was debating what to use on them to create living walls. I had fern panels in mind
I know it's a long thread, but read through it all. There's good info here that helped me get mine built. Mine has been finished for a little under a year and it's the greatest thing we ever could have done for our chameleon and for us. We fill the water reservoir about once a month, we trim the plants occasionally and we feed him. It's really amazing.

Ok please forgive me as new to this. When you say read the whole thread do you mean everyone's comments from the beginning and how do I get to the beginning. Thanks

Ok please forgive me as new to this. When you say read the whole thread do you mean everyone's comments from the beginning and how do I get to the beginning. Thanks
Yes, I would highly recommend reading it all. Each post has a # in the top right corner. This is post #191. At the bottom left there are page numbers(should be 1-10, this being page 10 if you haven't changed settings) ,just click on page 1 and start there.

Hi all so I've read this whole thread great enclosure and some great points . I am going to be setting up my first 2 bioactive tanks later this year nothing as big but was wondering as this was set up for a male what advice can anyone give me for a female that would differ obviously substrate and depth.

Hi all so I've read this whole thread great enclosure and some great points . I am going to be setting up my first 2 bioactive tanks later this year nothing as big but was wondering as this was set up for a male what advice can anyone give me for a female that would differ obviously substrate and depth.
As females will lay eggs, you’ll want your substrate to be a bit deeper 6-8” and with more sand than you’d use for your male. I also spread my plants a bit further apart to give them more area for choosing their digging spot.

Yeah I had a large plant pot in her first enclosure in which she layed. So could I leave enough space at the front on my next enclosure to place a bin for her as thinking if she layed at the back of of a bio could be fun retrieving them

Back
Top Bottom