Big enough cage

Hey guys my plans have changed and with a lot of thought im going for the vield. So i am getting ready to set up the cage and get the lights and everything. So i am going for the repti sun 5.0, and please give me some suggestions for a basking bulb and what wattage. I have an 18 by 18 by 18 sitting at my house wich use to house one of my crested geckos. The top is screen the right and left side are screen, but the front has sliding glass doors and the back is glass, Do you think thid id enough screen? If not ill have t get a new cage but i would love if this one was ok

if i was you i would do some research in the search area, i have found pretty much everything i needed through that feature on this site including cage recomendations for size, they also say that using glass is not recommended because of reflections. So if the cham see's itself everyday it will get stressed out. You could use regular house bulbs for basking or try typing that into the search engine and see what you get. Sorry if i came off a bit rude but i just think the search button should be used more cause i asked those same questions to myself and found the answers through that button it is a VERY useful tool for us fellow cham owners.

If the length and width are 18, what is the height dimension?
Wattage for UVA lamp depends on your area. i.e: I live in South California where it is generally hot all year round, so i never use bulb more than 75 watt.
Colder area such as in europe will probably need higher wattage.

Therefore, my suggestion for bulb wattage is always to use one that can raise the temperature to the species specific basking temp.
Where do you live?

Another thing about the enclosure..
If you live in US, generally we prefer all screen enclosure.
But, technically speaking 3 screen sides are sufficient for air circulation imho.

basking wattages are going to very depending on your setup, ect.
60 watt is probably a good place to start.

My thoughts are the cage you have may be ok with what you have for a juvenile, but you may want a larger full screen cage for adult.

Europeans use glass. It must be possible ;) ok, ok, I don't use it. So if I were to use it, I would think to myself what are advantages/disadvantages?

Glass probably would help hold in heat in a a cold location. Moisture probably would stay ina bit better.

Diasadvantage (at least the most obvious to me) would be hello! here's my reflection! what a handsome male! he better go away. Oh wait lemme chase him! Doh he just got closer RAWR!

I notice my reflection in glass when there is a greater amount of light inside than outside. So maybe come up with a way to make the glass more transparent? in a well lit room where light outside the cage will come through...

it's an idea. Generally your setup isn't optimal where you can keep the room temps up enough to be able to use a screen enclosure. Obviously I wouldn't want to experiment, deal with the hassle. Least that's my thoughts.

well the height is 18 inches too sorry, thought i mentioned that, and i live in canada where it can be pretty cold, its just i have two bearded dragons and the basking temps get up to 120 easy, and its a 75 watt, i have heard that they can see their reflections and it stresses them out, i would have that back wall alll covered with plants the suction cup kind, and put some pothos and fixus in there

An all screen cage is the best, but for a baby the one you have would work for awhile. It is rather small for a juvenile veiled, but until about 4 months it could work.

Your temps for the room should be about 73-75 with a basking area no hotter than 85. Keeping your basking area at 85 might be hard because of your glass. Seeing his reflection in the glass will cause a constant state of stress, so be careful and watch. Again, only use this cage until you can get an all screen one. Your basking light can be a clip on - really cheap from the hardware store or Walmart. You don't say where you are located, but I wouldn't get anything bigger than a 60 w bulb for that small of a cage, maybe even a 40. Use a regular household lamp bulb, nothing special please.

Maybe you can get some aquarium paper (it's plastic and looks like the plants in the sea) to put over the back of the cage to prevent the reflection of your cham. I don't know what might be helpful on the front, maybe some saran wrap stuck to the outside of the glass???

Anyone?

18" is not tall enough for a Veiled of practically any age. 2-5 months I usually keep in something 30" high, and after that it is 48" plus.

well the height is 18 inches too sorry, thought i mentioned that, and i live in canada where it can be pretty cold, its just i have two bearded dragons and the basking temps get up to 120 easy, and its a 75 watt, i have heard that they can see their reflections and it stresses them out, i would have that back wall alll covered with plants the suction cup kind, and put some pothos and fixus in there

1. Some canadian breeders use glass enclosures. I think 3 screen sides are sufficient for air circulation.
  2. With that cage, be aware that it can hold heat and moisture easily than the screen. Therefore, always monitor the temp to avoid cooking the little fella inside.
  3. You gonna need 1 big cage soon. You probably can keep him in your old cage for about 1 months maximum (providing that you buy 2.5 mo male veiled). Veiled's growth rate is quite fast. I kept all my baby chams (2.5 mo) in 24" height.

You know what i think i will just order the 24 by 24 by 48 from lll reptile with the one size smaller or something so i have cages for life :) And also, is a 24 by 24 by 36 too small for an adult vield? Or should i just got for the 24 by 24 by 48

i think the idea with the suctions cups would work, hopefully your water is hard up their so when you spray the fake plants on the glass the water will dry with spots to dirty up the glass to prevent reflections (just an idea). You're going to need to upgrade to a bigger cage as well but 18 high seems a little low to me but maybe someone else can tell you that 18 high will work, i have not heard of that but it also depends on the age your cham will be, adult females usually can be in 36 high with males liking it larger like 48. Younger chams might not mind 18 high. but reguardless it's gonna grow so you might wanna just get the largest cage it will ever need and section it off until it gets larger and then open it up once it's reached "puberty" or whatever the proper term is.

My adult veiled is in a 24X24X48 and uses it all. That would be absolutely the greatest for your soon to be cham. If it is still a little baby it will be too big though.

Back
Top Bottom