Big chunk out of tail...yikes :/

Jamescoop

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - 4.5 ear old veiled chameleon, female in my care for 4.25 years
* Handling - Not often but my roomates take her out probably once a week. I let her climb on a pothos during the day once a week as well.
* Feeding - Feed her large crickets, 10-15 every other day, general cricket food (the yellow stuff with powder on top
* Supplements - Not sure, dusting once a week for vitamin plus calcium
* Watering - Misting 3x a day 4 minutes per time, timer with auto mister, about a gallon per 8 days
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - She had a tumor on one of her eyes that has been treated, about 6 months ago
Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Screen sides, planted cage with live ficus, pothos, orchid
* Lighting - Zoo Med 100W, ceramic 100w heater, on 9 hours, heater the rest
* Temperature - Temperature is about 80 in the day, dropping to 70 at night
* Humidity - Humidity high, 80+%
* Placement - Cage is located in a glass entryway, high traffic, lots of plants to help her hide. I think it does stress her out a little bit, she has only been in this situation for 2 months, and Im moving in a month. She is on a fishtank stand, about 3 feet up. I downgraded to a smaller cage because she was falling a lot when she had her tumor. Cage is 30x30x18"
* Location - San luis obispo, CA

Current Problem - I went to coachella for the weekend, get back and she has a huge chunk of her tail out of her tail. I cant get it out of my roomates if they put her outside at all and its a bite, but dont understand how she could have gotten it in her cage. It is not a cut, it is a chunk!

Im wondering what to do, if I could jsut cover it with neosporin or something to aid her. It looks fairly clean, but im worried about dirt and stuff. I can probably wash it out a little with q-tip before applying neosporin (or something better suited). Or just let it heal naturally, I do not know. She seems to be eating normal.

Can you post some pics of your cham and the chams tail? Do you have a UVB light in the cage? Has you cham ever laid eggs. You are feeding her an awful lot for her age.

I would wash it and put neosporin on it. Then I would tell my roommates that it is my chameleon and I need to know what happened to be able to properly care for her. You might need to see the vet. And I would not take no for an answer - that is a live creature - no BS accepted.

Post pictures, maybe we can help solve the mystery.

try diluting some provodone iodine into a mild tea solution with some bottled water..id take a cotton swab and dab the site and then pour the solution over it. then take some polysporin and lightly coat it. make sure you are clean about all this washing your hands and making sure everything is sterile you are using. this is a good time to make sure your cage vines and limbs he is climbing over is scrubbed and cleaned. he wraps his tail over them frequently.

I would wash it and put neosporin on it. Then I would tell my roommates that it is my chameleon and I need to know what happened to be able to properly care for her. You might need to see the vet. And I would not take no for an answer - that is a live creature - no BS accepted.

Post pictures, maybe we can help solve the mystery.

I agree! Neosporin is a good quick fix, but keep your eye on it. MAKE SURE THERE IS NO PAINKILLER IN THE NEOSPORIN

Really depends on how big of a "chunk" we are talking.

Back
Top Bottom