BFL and the adults calcium supplements

Do we still dust black fly larvae and the adults? I read somewhere yesterday that they are so high in calcium that they don't require dusting and I just wanted to verify that that's true.

So if I feed almost exclusively black soldier flies (with random exceptions) and larvae would I need to dust with any vitamins at all?

So if I feed almost exclusively black soldier flies (with random exceptions) and larvae would I need to dust with any vitamins at all?

BSFL is not recommend as a staple feeder. They are certainly a healthy food item but your chameleon will absorb different nutrients from different feeders, just like we do. If you (a human) lived solely on carrots - your beta carotene would be off the charts but you'd be lacking in other vitamins, protein, calcium, etc. eventually leading to health issues. Same is true with your chameleon eating only one food.

They still need other vitamins, and a D3 schedule. BSFL do not need to be dusted with calcium... but your chameleon needs a vitamin supplement schedule for other nutrients that is balanced between what you are feeding and what supplements you are using.

I'd suggest adding at least one typical staple feeder, if not two, and then give BSFL and flies as a side dish. My staples are crickets, dubia, and silkworms. Dubia are probably the easiest to raise, but silkworms are my favorite to raise and feed. Easy, nutritious, and not gross. Whats not to love?

BSFL is not recommend as a staple feeder. They are certainly a healthy food item but your chameleon will absorb different nutrients from different feeders, just like we do. If you (a human) lived solely on carrots - your beta carotene would be off the charts but you'd be lacking in other vitamins, protein, calcium, etc. eventually leading to health issues. Same is true with your chameleon eating only one food.

They still need other vitamins, and a D3 schedule. BSFL do not need to be dusted with calcium... but your chameleon needs a vitamin supplement schedule for other nutrients that is balanced between what you are feeding and what supplements you are using.

I'd suggest adding at least one typical staple feeder, if not two, and then give BSFL and flies as a side dish. My staples are crickets, dubia, and silkworms. Dubia are probably the easiest to raise, but silkworms are my favorite to raise and feed. Easy, nutritious, and not gross. Whats not to love?

Actually, they are. However I don't feed exclusively black soldier flies/larvae. I rotate between black Soldier flies and larvae, crickets, silkworms and the little blue caterpillar ones that I can't remember the name right now (which are for hydration however when I first got Iggy thats all he would eat as he was a rescue).

I can't do the roaches. I tried but I kept their container in another container in a tote to ensure that they didn't Escape and everytime I was just freaked out about it.

I was just wondering if other dusting was still needed if their diet was largely black soldier flies.

Attachments

• chameleon-food.jpg
    chameleon-food.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 99
Actually, they are. However I don't feed exclusively black soldier flies/larvae. I rotate between black Soldier flies and larvae, crickets, silkworms and the little blue caterpillar ones that I can't remember the name right now (which are for hydration however when I first got Iggy thats all he would eat as he was a rescue).

I can't do the roaches. I tried but I kept their container in another container in a tote to ensure that they didn't Escape and everytime I was just freaked out about it.

I was just wondering if other dusting was still needed if their diet was largely black soldier flies.

I'd have to disagree with the wording in that form, then. They are all a good mix for a staple diet, but not THE sole part of the diet. I wouldn't feed primarily, snails, moths, flies, or phasmids. Phasmids actually make up a large part of their wild diet, and my guys go absolutely crazy for them, but I still wouldn't make them my staple. Its not that they aren't great food items, but they don't seem to offer as much "bang-for-your-buck" as the others do. I feed all of them, and highly recommend adding them... but as your earlier post stated, you feed almost exclusively BSFL.

I think the idea behind the pamphlet you posted is to show you foods that are healthy to feed regularly vs. foods you should use sparingly. That is not to say any one of those should be your only food source... but I think it is generally accepted that if you must limit yourself to 1-2 feeders, then one of those core foods (crick, dub, silk) should make up most of their diet. Locusts/hoppers/katydids are also a great staple but not readily available everywhere. Phasmids and mantids are also great, but the core three are the most readily available and probably a big part of why they are the most common.

What does the bee pollen do? And where do you get it?

Bee pollen can be either fed or "dusted" onto your feeders to give them the health benefits of it. It has naturally occurring vitamins and minerals, but is thought to also provide antioxidents and healing "powers," too. Its been used as a natural health supplement and remedy for thousands of years. Its also thought that our chams naturally ingest a little pollen when they eat flying insects in the wild.

I have the bee pollen granules, so I either add it to the bug burger mix I feed my bugs... or I add a drop or two of water to a few granules and they turn into a sort of paste. I make the paste for my BSFL so as they crawl around in it the pollen sticks to them. You can get the powder form, instead, adn then just dust it like you would the other supplements.

Ok I am going to jump in here since I was one of the people that designed that form you are referring too. It says on the care image common staple feeders... THEN Variety is best. Which means multiple feeders as your staples not picking one then rotating. Alone they do not make up enough of a diverse diet. Hornworms which is what you are also referring to even says on the care image that they should be fed 1 or two along with other staple feeders. Hornworms are basically sacks of water. Silkworms have more nutritional value but not alone either. They also are sacks of water.

So if you mean you rotate between using one then switching this is not adequate for your cham. Using all 3 at once is. Even feeding just roaches is not enough.

Ok I am going to jump in here since I was one of the people that designed that form you are referring too. It says on the care image common staple feeders... THEN Variety is best. Which means multiple feeders as your staples not picking one then rotating. Alone they do not make up enough of a diverse diet. Hornworms which is what you are also referring to even says on the care image that they should be fed 1 or two along with other staple feeders. Hornworms are basically sacks of water. Silkworms have more nutritional value but not alone either. They also are sacks of water.

So if you mean you rotate between using one then switching this is not adequate for your cham. Using all 3 at once is. Even feeding just roaches is not enough.
I typically always have Cricket and buy one other insect from the feeder list to accompany. So typically I rotate the silkworms and the black soldier flies throwing in the hornworms occasionally. Crickets are always a staple. It honestly depends on what they have in store.

I typically always have Cricket and buy one other insect from the feeder list to accompany. So typically I rotate the silkworms and the black soldier flies throwing in the hornworms occasionally. Crickets are always a staple. It honestly depends on what they have in store.

Then if you have othet staples you offer and dust during those feeding you can skip Dusting the bsfl

Back
Top Bottom