Beware of this company

Hello there,
Thought I give it another shot with my recent purchase of a chameleon. I'll leave it as that. First off I found when they finally shipped the animal with tracking number said by end of day. Would think company would of made it sooner and could have. With current temps being in 30's. So had to call UPS for them to contact driver and UPS driver delivered it right away. Didn't know it was a live animal. Got chameleon inside opened box and lifted staple to see a non responsive animal covered in fecal matter of his own. Was in a brown small paper bag. Box was insulated with foam with a heat pack at the bottom with a paper crumble on top and then brown bag with chameleon. The heat pack wasn't warm at all both the chameleon and heat pack were cold. Chameleon didn't look dead just cold and bad bad odor and movement. Don't understand that. So called them and they emailed a form to fill out of the situation and have response. Just think this is sickening when a guy by phone. Gave me trust that it was ok to ship with current temps and they haven't lost a reptile yet. With ways they do it. Been bothering me ever since and only been a day. Only offer I got from them. is to buy another Cham with a discount price and 9 dollars off the shipping cost. That I am 100% not doing. With way I feel already bad a reptile that looked very healthy died because of a order I placed for him. This thread is a warning and not against the company in anyway just a experience that was poorly done. Unsure where to post this but if a mod has a better idea would be appreciated.

Attachments

• image1_02.png
    image1_02.png
    232.2 KB · Views: 275
  • image1_03.jpg
    image1_03.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 517
I've read a few other reviews identical to yours about this company. The chameleon community seems to be in agreement that this company can't be trusted for a few different reasons. I'm sorry about your experience. He looks like he was actually a fairly healthy and beautiful boy. Such a shame he succumbed to the elements. Very preventable, very sad.

Another thing to be concerned about.... you say fecal matter was all over the place? Like smeared I take it? That paired with the very foul smells sounds like some serious parasites, a common symptom of coccidia. Can't say for certain, but that too is a huge red flag.

I've also heard bad about this company

Another thing to be concerned about.... you say fecal matter was all over the place? Like smeared I take it? That paired with the very foul smells sounds like some serious parasites, a common symptom of coccidia. Can't say for certain, but that too is a huge red flag.

I've also heard bad about this company
In the paper bag was all over and chameleon had it on his rib area and leg/feet. Didn't think of parasites and thought coccidia was only in common with bearded dragons. Thank you for this info appreciate it :).

Very sad!! Avoidable 100% I feel bad for you!! If I was into veiledchams I'd give you one
Thank you idk if its a sign in anyway. Not buying any more reptiles online. With winter months only chameleon I know of is a female up north. I'll have some time to think and see in the spring. Maybe can rescue one from a PetSmart/Petco. With all the pothos and ficus I recently got. See if I can get them to make it though the winter.

In the paper bag was all over and chameleon had it on his rib area and leg/feet. Didn't think of parasites and thought coccidia was only in common with bearded dragons. Thank you for this info appreciate it :).
Not saying it wasn’t a bad ass parasite but all animals release their bowels upon death.

How long was the cham in the box?

Thank you idk if its a sign in anyway. Not buying any more reptiles online. With winter months only chameleon I know of is a female up north. I'll have some time to think and see in the spring. Maybe can rescue one from a PetSmart/Petco. With all the pothos and ficus I recently got. See if I can get them to make it though the winter.

As Brody said, don't 'rescue' a chameleon, or any exotic animal for that matter, from PetSmart/petco. You aren't rescuing, you are supporting the stores. When a store sees that a chameleon was bought, they will see it as profit, and will replace the chameleon because they see they are successful selling point. If people stopped buying chameleons from Petco, they would stop selling, because nobody has bought them.

Not saying it wasn’t a bad ass parasite but all animals release their bowels upon death.

How long was the cham in the box?
17-19 hours with time given from tracking number. I do have to agree with supporting a store for a profit. But that logic would go to most even breeders.

17-19 hours with time given from tracking number. I do have to agree with supporting a store for a profit. But that logic would go to most even breeders.

Going with a proper, reputable breeder like many of the site sponsors, is a much better practice since you are supporting a breeder who cares about the animals they breed and sell. You might pay more for the chameleon but you atleast know that the chameleon has been properly cared for which costs a bit more.

Support a chain store or company with a bad reputation of selling unhealthy animals, or support a reputable breeder? Choose what you want but I'll always push for any of the breeders that are forum sponsors here over the big box stores.

Back on topic, I've heard plenty of horror stories much like this one about underground. Backwater reptiles is another exotics "dealer" to avoid... they regularly sell and ship unhealthy animals, incorrect species, ect... Ordered a tarantula from backwater and they sent me a dead tarantula that was not the species I ordered. The one they sent was a more expensive species and tried to get me to cover the cost difference even though it was DOA. Had to threaten them with legal action to get my money back...

Companies like underground and backwater are what I call dealers. They have a network of shady breeders who provide the animals to be sold. When you place an order with the company, they tell which ever breeder to ship whatever animal on the order. Kinda like how Amazon works. But 10 items and they will be shipped from 6 different places... except amazon customer support is actually decent.

I live locally to UNDERGROUND REPTILES and I've know the owner RIANN since he sold animals out of a small warehouse calling himself "BOX OF SNAKES". He was passionate about exotic species.
Somewhere along the way, cash became king. He doesn't care much for animal welfare anymore.
I keep Redfoot tortoises. They require super high humidity. Especially when young.
On a recent trip to his store to get Vitamin powder, he had baby Redfoot for sale on RABBIT PELLETS. There was literally dust on them!
Tortoises not started correctly seldom have long, healthy lives. Those will either certainly die and cost the new owner hundreds of dollars. Or be forever ill.

As a person, he's a nice guy. I actually like him a lot.
But I do not recommend purchasing his animals. He has stopped caring about them at all.
It's very sad, actually.

Last edited:
Going with a proper, reputable breeder like many of the site sponsors, is a much better practice since you are supporting a breeder who cares about the animals they breed and sell. You might pay more for the chameleon but you atleast know that the chameleon has been properly cared for which costs a bit more.

Support a chain store or company with a bad reputation of selling unhealthy animals, or support a reputable breeder? Choose what you want but I'll always push for any of the breeders that are forum sponsors here over the big box stores.

Back on topic, I've heard plenty of horror stories much like this one about underground. Backwater reptiles is another exotics "dealer" to avoid... they regularly sell and ship unhealthy animals, incorrect species, ect... Ordered a tarantula from backwater and they sent me a dead tarantula that was not the species I ordered. The one they sent was a more expensive species and tried to get me to cover the cost difference even though it was DOA. Had to threaten them with legal action to get my money back...

Companies like underground and backwater are what I call dealers. They have a network of shady breeders who provide the animals to be sold. When you place an order with the company, they tell which ever breeder to ship whatever animal on the order. Kinda like how Amazon works. But 10 items and they will be shipped from 6 different places... except amazon customer support is actually decent.
I tried get my money back with underground but only was offered wholesale price on another Cham. That and 9 dollars off the shipping cost. Now the manager won't respond to my honest email I sent yesterday. Nothing I can do find closer or least make something good come out of this. Not just for myself but the Cham. I always been a honest person and tell it like it is. It is a shame they sell reptiles/animals just to make a buck. Treat them like caddle in the process.

Back
Top Bottom