Best way to help with heat

herrwibi

Hi all , looking for some advice.

I've recently been giving a panther chameleon while my partner moves.

The chameleon has been moved to a mesh enclosure now rather than a glass . Day temps swing from 20/22 degrees depending on outside temps. Both sides and back have been covered by plastic sheeting.

Basking sits around 32/29 depending on the area of the thermostat is at. During the night the enclosure gets down to around 16/17 .

Are these temperatures OK? I worry the day ambient temp may be too low for him . I'm not sure if it's worth investing in a 150w basking bulb as I think it currently 100w.

I do have a ceramic bulb I could use on a thermostat to bring the temp up if it's not adequate.

Thanks.

Hey there... See my feedback in bold.

The chameleon has been moved to a mesh enclosure now rather than a glass . Day temps swing from 20/22 degrees depending on outside temps. Both sides and back have been covered by plastic sheeting. If these are ambient temps in the cage that is fine. Granted more towards 22-24 would be better. Increasing your temp in the house can help with this.

Basking sits around 32/29 depending on the area of the thermostat is at. During the night the enclosure gets down to around 16/17 . Basking should be no hotter than 29 at the branch. That would be a max temp. Your looking for a range at the branch of 27-29. Distance to the branch is important to prevent thermal burns.

Are these temperatures OK? I worry the day ambient temp may be too low for him . I'm not sure if it's worth investing in a 150w basking bulb as I think it currently 100w.
I do have a ceramic bulb I could use on a thermostat to bring the temp up if it's not adequate.

I do not like the Che bulbs... They can be dangerous with a cham. Also no light so some chams will not even bask under them. I would not increase to a 150 watt bulb These are extremely strong and do present a thermal burn risk.

Welcome to the forum!

Standing Ovation Applause GIF by The Maury Show
Hi all , looking for some advice.

I've recently been giving a panther chameleon while my partner moves.

The chameleon has been moved to a mesh enclosure now rather than a glass . Day temps swing from 20/22 degrees depending on outside temps. Both sides and back have been covered by plastic sheeting.

Basking sits around 32/29 depending on the area of the thermostat is at. During the night the enclosure gets down to around 16/17 .

Thanks.
Your basking temp is a little on the warm side, but everything else looks good—copacetic even. (y)
28/29 (basking) should be good—mine's around 28.

Actually, you might be able to lower that 100W to a 75W—or just back it off a few inches.

Hey there... See my feedback in bold.

The chameleon has been moved to a mesh enclosure now rather than a glass . Day temps swing from 20/22 degrees depending on outside temps. Both sides and back have been covered by plastic sheeting. If these are ambient temps in the cage that is fine. Granted more towards 22-24 would be better. Increasing your temp in the house can help with this.

Basking sits around 32/29 depending on the area of the thermostat is at. During the night the enclosure gets down to around 16/17 . Basking should be no hotter than 29 at the branch. That would be a max temp. Your looking for a range at the branch of 27-29. Distance to the branch is important to prevent thermal burns.

I do not like the Che bulbs... They can be dangerous with a cham. Also no light so some chams will not even bask under them. I would not increase to a 150 watt bulb These are extremely strong and do present a thermal burn risk.

Thank you for getting back to me. It's about to be summer so i am hoping temps will rise. I've been looking at solarflare fan heater to help push hotter air around the mesh enclosure. I know these can kill humidity but i would have my mistking on more often. Just wondering if this may be a good idea?

Thank you for getting back to me. It's about to be summer so i am hoping temps will rise. I've been looking at solarflare fan heater to help push hotter air around the mesh enclosure. I know these can kill humidity but i would have my mistking on more often. Just wondering if this may be a good idea?
Personally I do not feel like it is necessary. If your temps were lower then maybe but ambient temps naturally are warmer in summer and cooler in winter. They then bask if they need to warm up more. But honestly the temps your getting for ambient are by no means cold.

Personally I do not feel like it is necessary. If your temps were lower then maybe but ambient temps naturally are warmer in summer and cooler in winter. They then bask if they need to warm up more. But honestly the temps your getting for ambient are by no means cold.
Well the upper half is between 20-22 but any lower than that is below 20. I know they do need a gradient in temp but feel it may be too cold . It's the reason I thought about the solarfan

Maybe i'm just panicking a bit. The warmer weather should hopefully be here soon .

Well the upper half is between 20-22 but any lower than that is below 20. I know they do need a gradient in temp but feel it may be too cold . It's the reason I thought about the solarfan

Maybe i'm just panicking a bit. The warmer weather should hopefully be here soon .
Unless your lower half is sitting in the low 60's or lower then I personally would not be concerned. In winter my lower part of my cage sits 67-68 then increases as you move up and during the day as the temps rise it increases.

Back
Top Bottom