Best Way to Feed Chameleons?

I was researching about: cup feeding, free-range, tong feeding, and hand feeding. I was wondering which way you guys prefer?

I do not own a chameleon atm but want to eventually.

Tong feeding it is dangerous if the cham hits the tong and you react. This can damage the tongue. Cup feeding of some kind is typically recommended. Keeps your feeders in one place and keeps them from walking through fecal in the cage.

I like the full throttle feeders.

Tong feeding it is dangerous if the cham hits the tong and you react. This can damage the tongue. Cup feeding of some kind is typically recommended. Keeps your feeders in one place and keeps them from walking through fecal in the cage.

I like the full throttle feeders.
Thank you I will mark Tong feeding off my list right now.

I was researching about: cup feeding, free-range, tong feeding, and hand feeding. I was wondering which way you guys prefer?

I do not own a chameleon atm but want to eventually.
I use a DIY similar to full throttle for crickets, and a bird feeder cup ($1.50 at Pet—) for everything else.
1646497763591.png
I don't free-range; there are enough escapees as it is.
Tong feeding can be risky (tongue damage).
I hand feed when I can, which is seldom.

I'd prefer a single method/feeder, and I'm working on one suggested by another member here (don't recall who 😔 ). Gotta get out to a home improvement store for parts.

I've always free ranged the insects. Just felt it gave the chameleon a bit more exercise and takes a bit longer so "entertains" the chameleon a bit longer.

I use a DIY similar to full throttle for crickets, and a bird feeder cup ($1.50 at Pet—) for everything else.
I don't free-range; there are enough escapees as it is.
Tong feeding can be risky (tongue damage).
I hand feed when I can, which is seldom.

I'd prefer a single method/feeder, and I'm working on one suggested by another member here (don't recall who 😔 ). Gotta get out to a home improvement store for parts.
Thanks! this is helpful

Hi I've mostly always cup fed ( definitely with crickets, roaches and treats like wax wax worms and pachnoda grubs, but would now and then let locusts roam as they are diurnal and easier to find and remove if required

Cup feed 100% except houseflies; Small things such as BSF I put on my hand and offer. I like to visually see the insects get eaten, and I don't like free rangers as I feel they can pollute the cage and cause potential problems; for example, a cricket drinks "poopwater" (water drops washed down to the bottom of enclosure, although I clean out poops daily) and then cham eats it. Not to mention if something hides and dies. Unless the shooting gallery/seed cup is cleaned regularly I don't like the idea of the cham's tongue picking up insect frass along with its bugs.

I use a DIY shooting gallery for my adults and free range for the babies. The shooting gallery works great but takes too much space for a baby's cage. Free range makes them hunt (which is good) but sometimes you'll have crickets escaping and if you don't clean the cage often they might eat your chameleon's poop and give it parasites.

is there a way to attach full throttle feeders to the hybrid dragonstrand cage?
FT style feeders are no problem—they can be attached with a couple of zip-ties.
1646581197151.jpeg

This way I can leave the zip-ties attached and slide them off & on so I can clean the feeder. ;)

Shooting gallery style usually attach to a screen. When I tried that style, I used a larger piece of the same plastic canvas that the FT style uses. You can find it on Amazon or one of the craft stores (needlepoint section).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom