best thing to use as feeder cup

whysoez420

Is a plastic cup the best thing to use to put feeders in or can they climb up that too? I'm hoping to use something they can't get out of.

I use one of those cheap sippy cups. I cut the bottom out and hot glued window screen to the bottom. My critters don't get out.

I use this-

41ClhIkG2PL._SY450_.jpg

The white cup inside of it has a transparent lip around it so feeders can't climb out. I put crickets in there and they don't seem to want to jump out either. Works pretty well and it looks a little bit more natural. It's attached by some heavy duty magnets and easily supports the weight of my cham.

And as I was posting this, I took out the white cup to prepare for feeding. He has since moved up to the rock ledge and is hovering over it like he knows its coming...

Attachments

• IMG_0256.jpg
    IMG_0256.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
And as I was posting this, I took out the white cup to prepare for feeding. He has since moved up to the rock ledge and is hovering over it like he knows its coming...

I have thought of using those cups but I am afraid they could scrape their tongue. Have you had any issues using it?

Luis

You can use really anything that is opaque. I will recycle Chinese take-out containers, yogurt or butter containers, etc. Anything I have that is keepable I will wash and hold on to, because I feel like I always need plastic containers for my chameleons (whether to cupfeed, dust, etc.)

Crickets, some roaches, and worms will not climb out of anything smooth plastic. Some roach species will, but things like dubia/discoid roaches, crickets, superworms, hornworms, and whatnot will not climb out.

I've been using tall deli food containers.
My chams climb inside to get the cricks if they stay at the bottom.

But, I ordered some square green transparent containers to remove cricks,
and feed them to my chams.

I hope the square shape will help.

You can use really anything that is opaque. I will recycle Chinese take-out containers, yogurt or butter containers, etc. Anything I have that is keepable I will wash and hold on to, because I feel like I always need plastic containers for my chameleons (whether to cupfeed, dust, etc.)

Crickets, some roaches, and worms will not climb out of anything smooth plastic. Some roach species will, but things like dubia/discoid roaches, crickets, superworms, hornworms, and whatnot will not climb out.

hehe! i don't feel so bad now for hoarding every plastic container I can get my hands on!

I have thought of using those cups but I am afraid they could scrape their tongue. Have you had any issues using it?

Luis

The rock is made of styrofoam. It's a little coarse but I would say it is less abrasive then the screen of my cage. I don't feel it would be dangerous. And the cup is plastic so no issue there.

If your new baby is only one month old it most likely want be use to eating out of a cup so I'd recommend free ranging the feeders to start with.

Here's a couple of the cups and bowls that I use.

feedercups024.jpg

feedercups027.jpg

feedercups019.jpg

feedercups020.jpg

feedercups022.jpg

We just put the crickets in the bottom of Charlie's cage, a few at a time..... is there a problem with this?

outdoor bugs?

I live sort of in the woods and have gobs of bugs in the yard. I use NO chemicals in, near, or around my house. Is it safe to let Charlie eat outside bugs and which ones are good for him as opposed to being treats?

One thing to consider when cup feeding baby or juveniles is to make sure there is a way for the chameleon to get out of the cup in the unlikely event he falls in. A very rare occurrence, but an over-exuberant, inexperienced baby could do it.

All you need is something in the cup that a chameleon can climb and reach the top. Chameleons can stretch further than your typical feeder so it is not an escape route or the food.

Back
Top Bottom