BEST SUBSTRATE

Thatdudepursley

Hello all,

I just want to know your opinion on the best substrate to use for the bottom of my tank. I have a juvenile veiled chameleon. Not sure how old he is. I have a glass tank with a screen top, I am currently using a 50W heat and UVB bulb for him during the day, and at night I don't use a bulb at all. I mist 2-3 times a day. Right now I have some real wood climbers and a cut out log for him, also have a bunch of fake plants hanging around and some vines running over the top of the cage under the lamp that he seems to really enjoy. the substrate that I am using currently is "National Geographic Course Coconut Fiber". I'm planning to go to Walmart or somewhere today to get him a small fiscus tree to replace the cut out log and some of the fake plants that I have. Just wondering what is the best substrate for him to keep him and the plant healthy. I would like to get opininos before I go buy the stuff. Thank you all.

No substrate... other than maybe some paper towels to catch the poop ;)

That should also help with the crickets and what not running and hiding from him? Will it still allow the plant to survive? Should I buy a pot at least and keep soil in the pot for the plant, or just set it on the bottom of the tank?

I don't recommend substrat either. It is too easy for them to ingest by accident and cause an inpact. Paper towels are super easy to just change out to clean.

That should also help with the crickets and what not running and hiding from him? Will it still allow the plant to survive? Should I buy a pot at least and keep soil in the pot for the plant, or just set it on the bottom of the tank?

Yes, you can get a pot. Then get some river rock to cover the dirt in the pot with.

Keeping chameleons on substrates is more on the advanced end of the spectrum. Familiarize yourself with this caresheet it's a good place to start. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

What size is your tank? Any ventilation other than screen top? Chameleons can be kept in glass but usually the exo terra vivs not a fish tank. If your stuck with a fish tank now than one option is turning it so its upright and the screens on the front or back if you have access. This will improve ventilation thought the enclosure and keep water from pooling in the bottom.

Hello all,

I just want to know your opinion on the best substrate to use for the bottom of my tank. I have a juvenile veiled chameleon. Not sure how old he is. I have a glass tank with a screen top, I am currently using a 50W heat and UVB bulb for him during the day, and at night I don't use a bulb at all. I mist 2-3 times a day. Right now I have some real wood climbers and a cut out log for him, also have a bunch of fake plants hanging around and some vines running over the top of the cage under the lamp that he seems to really enjoy. the substrate that I am using currently is "National Geographic Course Coconut Fiber". I'm planning to go to Walmart or somewhere today to get him a small fiscus tree to replace the cut out log and some of the fake plants that I have. Just wondering what is the best substrate for him to keep him and the plant healthy. I would like to get opininos before I go buy the stuff. Thank you all.
To grow a live robust plant in the tank substrate that's large enough for your cham you would need a very deep amount with percolation layers and a bioactive soil community so it doesn't become a boggy smelly mess. There's always a risk that your cham could shoot at a feeder on the surface and swallow a chunk of bark or moss that can cause intestinal injury. Much easier to leave the plant in a pot. Use potting soil that does not have added chemical fertilizers, "pest control" additives (anti fungal anti insect, weed inhibitors), or perlite. You can cover the soil surface with a piece of window screen or pebbles too large for him to swallow. Check the drainage of the pot to make sure the plant's roots don't sit saturated all the time.

I hope you're not using a fish tank. They aren't good for chameleons. Not enough vertical space to make a decent heat gradient, plus not tall enough to make a suitable environment for climbing.

If you haven't already, I recommend reading the site's care sheets on caging and the care sheet for the type of chameleon you have.

I hope you're not using a fish tank. They aren't good for chameleons. Not enough vertical space to make a decent heat gradient, plus not tall enough to make a suitable environment for climbing.

If you haven't already, I recommend reading the site's care sheets on caging and the care sheet for the type of chameleon you have.

I'm not using a fishtank, its a tropical reptile tank. its 16x16x36. I have the plants left in the pot and I covered the soil with large river rocks. Have to go get some organic soil totally forgot about it. Will he be able to survive for a day without the organic soil? as long as I get it tomorrow? the nursery that I always use for plants around the house is closed now and I get a super good discount there.
To grow a live robust plant in the tank substrate that's large enough for your cham you would need a very deep amount with percolation layers and a bioactive soil community so it doesn't become a boggy smelly mess. There's always a risk that your cham could shoot at a feeder on the surface and swallow a chunk of bark or moss that can cause intestinal injury. Much easier to leave the plant in a pot. Use potting soil that does not have added chemical fertilizers, "pest control" additives (anti fungal anti insect, weed inhibitors), or perlite. You can cover the soil surface with a piece of window screen or pebbles too large for him to swallow. Check the drainage of the pot to make sure the plant's roots don't sit saturated all the time.[/
I have the plants left in the pot and I covered the soil with large river rocks. Have to go get some organic soil totally forgot about it. Will he be able to survive for a day without the organic soil? as long as I get it tomorrow? the nursery that I always use for plants around the house is closed now and I get a super good discount there. as long as he dosent injest the soil?

As long as he dosent injest the soil?

Here is what it looks like now. Is that too much foliage? Also going to hang a vine around the top of the tank, he seems to really like those.

Attachments

• IMG_0834.JPG
    IMG_0834.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0835.JPG
    IMG_0835.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0837.JPG
    IMG_0837.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0836.JPG
    IMG_0836.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 265
So glad it's not a fish tank was just worried by the wording of original post! That's a great start, you have enough plants but could use more horizontal branches or fake vines to give him lots of perches to choose from at different levels in the tank, the top 1/3 looks bare and that's where the chameleon will want to spend a majority of the time. If you can get the vining plant up in that top part of the enclosure its draping vines will continue to provide more climbing space as it grows.

So glad it's not a fish tank was just worried by the wording of original post! That's a great start, you have enough plants but could use more horizontal branches or fake vines to give him lots of perches to choose from at different levels in the tank, the top 1/3 looks bare and that's where the chameleon will want to spend a majority of the time. If you can get the vining plant up in that top part of the enclosure its draping vines will continue to provide more climbing space as it grows.

OK. Great. Ill see if I can figure out a way to hang it from the top of the tank. I just put a fake vine that looks around the top, but ill see if I can work that into the pothos and see if I can hang the pothos from the top of the tank.

Ok wasn't able to hang it, but I put some more stuff up top and made some more climbing areas. Right now while I am getting his cage set up, I also bought 6-7 foot real fiscus tree. I put him in there. He dosent really seem to like me too much and refuses to use me as a branch when I offer, how do you propose I get him out of the tree and back to his tank. its his bedtime.

Ok wasn't able to hang it, but I put some more stuff up top and made some more climbing areas. Right now while I am getting his cage set up, I also bought 6-7 foot real fiscus tree. I put him in there. He dosent really seem to like me too much and refuses to use me as a branch when I offer, how do you propose I get him out of the tree and back to his tank. its his bedtime.

Try to get home onto a stick instead then transfer him. I wouldn't let him sleep in the free range but it's good you got him one and a big ficus is perfect for that!

Try to get home onto a stick instead then transfer him. I wouldn't let him sleep in the free range but it's good you got him one and a big ficus is perfect for that!

Yea that didn't work, so I gently reached out for him and his stomach got really big and the bottom of his throat flared out a little bit. I'm assuming that's not a happy sign.

I have this problem too. My guy pretty much hates me at the moment. Use a stick to get him out and into his new tank. Slowly have him get on the stick and slowly move him over

Yea that didn't work, so I gently reached out for him and his stomach got really big and the bottom of his throat flared out a little bit. I'm assuming that's not a happy sign.

Nope, he's not happy with what you're doing to him. I would say keep trying with a stick.

Back
Top Bottom