Best Size For Adult Chameleons???

DcabMEX

So im looking around for information on which size of cage is best for most adult chameleons? Does 18x18x36 sound roomy enough?........

I think 18x18x36 is a pretty good size for most chameleons. But if you could go bigger then that would be even better. What kind of Cham are you thinking of getting?

well i already have a about 8 month vield who is still in her baby cage which is 16x16x21. so im tryin to find out what is the best size for an adult cage for her to live for the rest of her life?

The bigger the better. I read somewheres on a site 24*24*48 is a great size for an adult male Veiled Chameleon and for a female u would be fine with a 18*18*36. Though Im sure if you have a smaller species Chameleon ud be fine with something a little smaller.

o well that sounds ok. i also am thinking of adding a male panther into the family, but thats not anytime soon, but i still am looking to see wat thier ideal cage size is?

For an adult veiled you want at least 24x24x48 enclosure, but as most mentioned the bigger the better!

A 18X18X36 would be a good size for an adult female Veiled. It's what I have used in the past with my females, and had no problems with cramped spacing.

LPR08

Females can be in slightly smaller cages. But for a adult panther male, you will need a minium of 24x24x48 screen cage. DIYcages.com has the best IMO and a great price.

I am currently building a 24x45x45 cage for my Panther. I feel that so much emphasis has been placed on cage height(which is of course very important), that horizontal room has been overlooked and neglected to some degree. I give all my chams both vertical and horizontal space and they definitely use the horizontal space the most. I can understand breeders using cages with a smaller footprint to save space, but always give your animal as much room as you are able to afford in terms of money and space....you will be rewarded with more natural behaviors and a happier animal - this does not mean they won't survive in a smaller cage, but they will always be happier in a larger one!! Another advantage to horizontal space is that most people understandably put the heat source at the top of the cage, often times forcing a cham to move downwards to escape the heat when they need to do so, but with horizontal space and a heat source at one end, the cham can move to the other end of the cage and remain high in the cage(where they usually prefer to be) while also escaping the heat source.

I am currently building a 24x45x45 cage for my Panther. I feel that so much emphasis has been placed on cage height(which is of course very important), that horizontal room has been overlooked and neglected to some degree. I give all my chams both vertical and horizontal space and they definitely use the horizontal space the most. I can understand breeders using cages with a smaller footprint to save space, but always give your animal as much room as you are able to afford in terms of money and space....you will be rewarded with more natural behaviors and a happier animal - this does not mean they won't survive in a smaller cage, but they will always be happier in a larger one!! Another advantage to horizontal space is that most people understandably put the heat source at the top of the cage, often times forcing a cham to move downwards to escape the heat when they need to do so, but with horizontal space and a heat source at one end, the cham can move to the other end of the cage and remain high in the cage(where they usually prefer to be) while also escaping the heat source.

I completely agree. As a minimum for commercially available cages, a 24" x 24" x 48" is best (in my personal opinion for both males and females alike) but if you decide to build your own enclosure, definitely add on as much horizontal space as you can. I have mine free ranged but they have 8' of horizontal space and 4' of vertical space and they spend most of the day going left to right, patrolling the area. It shows you so much more of their natural behaviors.

Couldnt agree more with both of you Az & Olimpia. But the main problem is moving a cage that size. You'd have to make it easy to break down to move or take outside to clean. You cant get a 3ft wide and 3ft deep cage to go thru a normal doorway. I know yrs ago i made some cages myselff and wanted to go large. I couldnt get them into the bedroom i wanted them to go in. :rolleyes: I forgot about door widths! :eek: I was lucky i had a sliding glass door at the time so I could get em in the house. They had to go in a formal room we had as it was the only one with a wide enuff opening. So yeah bigger is better but measure before you start. lol

Back
Top Bottom