Best products for the cage

I am very excited to be getting an Ambilobe Panther Chameleon. I own several reptiles but this has been a dream of mine for years now. I am having a bit of trouble nailing down exactly what to get for the cage though. I am looking for suggestions on a few things that I feel he will need.

What brand (or place) provides good and sturdy branches/vines for climbing? Also, how would you suggest attaching them to the mesh cage? Most seem to come with suction cups.

If you use an auto mister, what brand would you recommend? I am able to manually mist him but I am debating on an auto mister so I can better keep the humidity in his cage while I’m at work. I have read good things about the MistKings, and they seem to be one of the top contenders on my list.

Any other suggestions on husbandry are welcome as well. I am going to be a first time chameleon keeper and I know they need special care. I just want to give my little guy the best home he could possibly have.

Mistking and Climist are the best auto misters for your $. Honestly most of us use branches we've found outdoors they work just as well and better yet free! Just stay away from cedar and pine trees. Stay away from the bendable brown branches from exoterra and zoomed. Water causes them to rot

That’s what I’ve heard, which is what made me nervous about buying them. If I take branches from outside what is the best way to disinfect them? I’ve heard soaking them in soapy water or baking them can be effective?

That’s what I’ve heard, which is what made me nervous about buying them. If I take branches from outside what is the best way to disinfect them? I’ve heard soaking them in soapy water or baking them can be effective?
Leave them outside in the sun for 24hrs. To be honest they main worry is bringing in bugs and parasites but none should be of any worry to a foreign species from half way around the world.

As far as water goes, drippers seem to be the most highly regarded. Rather than things like bowls or fountains due to bacteria. Are there any drippers that catch and recycle the water, or are most just filled every day or so?

Thank you for all the helpful answers. Super excited to venture into the world that is panther chameleons. They truly are stunning and mysterious little creatures to me.

I love my mistking! Have never had a problem with it. I have repurposed many branches just found outside. I am lucky enough to have a family member with a huge, dead grape vine in their yard that I ravaged for my new build :ROFLMAO:
The biggest husbandry mistake most people make is the lighting, so make sure you have that in hand

The biggest husbandry mistake most people make is the lighting, so make sure you have that in hand

I plan on getting a smaller cage for when he’s young, but eventually putting him in something like a ReptiBreeze XL (24x24x48). I also was intending on getting an incandescent basking light with an adjustable stand so I can get the temps right. Along with a Reptisun 5.0 UVB 24” bulb to go across the top. If something sounds wrong with that setup please do let me know.

I plan on getting a smaller cage for when he’s young, but eventually putting him in something like a ReptiBreeze XL (24x24x48). I also was intending on getting an incandescent basking light with an adjustable stand so I can get the temps right. Along with a Reptisun 5.0 UVB 24” bulb to go across the top. If something sounds wrong with that setup please do let me know.
My biggest suggestion would be to not bother getting the smaller cage if you have not gotten it yet. You can ask any keeper here and most will agree that the "baby cage" was a waste of money :ROFLMAO: if you are prepping everything prior to your babies arrival (kudos!) then I would say just go with the large cage off the bat. You'll be surprised at how quickly they grow! I've had my guy since april and he is already ready for an upgrade. So pretty much the $60 I spent on a reptibreeze was a waste! But it did give me the opportunity to take the time to build this bad boy!
20190828_174618.jpg

(Image taken today, still in progress!)

Is your UVB going to be in a single bulb fixture?

That is awesome news that I could skip a “baby” cage. I felt like maybe it was a bit of a waste but I’m willing to do whatever to make this guy happy and healthy. I am currently getting everything setup before I even look into buying one. I like to make sure my cage runs as it should for at least a few days before he comes home. I was planning on a single reptisun uvb hood and bulb. Would it be necessary to have a multi bulb fixture?

That is awesome news that I could skip a “baby” cage. I felt like maybe it was a bit of a waste but I’m willing to do whatever to make this guy happy and healthy. I am currently getting everything setup before I even look into buying one. I like to make sure my cage runs as it should for at least a few days before he comes home. I was planning on a single reptisun uvb hood and bulb. Would it be necessary to have a multi bulb fixture?
I ran my cage for a month before getting my boy to make sure all of my humidity and temps were on point! But I live in CO so humidity was a struggle for me, you could probably get away with a few days to a week of testing if that's not an issue you'll have.

The benefit of a multi fixture is to provide more lighting to the enclosure. You can put plant bulbs in there to help your plants grow as well. You can also achieve this with seperate bulbs as well. I dont see any issues with having a single bulb hood for the UVB and then seperate fixtures for the extra lighting. I ask because if you have a multi bulb fixture you'll want a 10.0 or 12% UVB bulb

Thanks for advice! I may look into a multi bulb hood then to make it simpler with my plants light as well. I was thinking of putting an umbrella plant or a ficus in there but not sure which yet. Still need to do some research and shopping around on that part.

Thanks for advice! I may look into a multi bulb hood then to make it simpler with my plants light as well. I was thinking of putting an umbrella plant or a ficus in there but not sure which yet. Still need to do some research and shopping around on that part.
More plants are always better!! Do both!
My new build will have something like 15 different plants or so

Back
Top Bottom