Best plants for dragonstrand ?

Amydaveg

I plan to change from a reptibreeze to a dragonstrand lg with the screen bottom option.

It looks like the bottom will not hold a pot plant as it is screen, but plants can be attached to the ledges.

Can anyone recommend a few plants that would work with , and how to set them up?

Links and pictures would be nice.

Thanks

I plan to change from a reptibreeze to a dragonstrand lg with the screen bottom option.

It looks like the bottom will not hold a pot plant as it is screen, but plants can be attached to the ledges.

Can anyone recommend a few plants that would work with , and how to set them up?

Links and pictures would be nice.

Thanks
Do you mean attaching the plants with expansive foam?
I think that’s the only way to do it or at least the only one I know of.

I mean plants that will work well with the Drahon Ledges.
Right now I have a big potted plant, but it wont work with the screen bottom

https://dragonstrand.com/product/large-keeper-drip-easy-drainage-system/
What plant do you have?
I think you can attach any plant you want (making sure it isn’t toxic or anything like that).
I mean the purpose of the ledges is to hold firmly something(like branches, pots, etc.) and also that the weight is held by the frame and not by the screen.
Hope this helps and good luck. :)

Here are a couple of links that have information:
This one may be good because it has a section that talks about specific plants. It is for a different cage, but the principles are the same
Building up a Medium Atrium Enclosure

Here is an article that talks about the Large Keeper Cage you are asking about.
Advanced Chameleon Cage Set-up

And, just for fun, here is a Large Keeper Kit with the plants all mounted up on the Dragon Ledges and the bottom screen and completely clear.

Floating-garden-cage-400.jpg

The dragon strand website has a good blog entry on making the most out of the ledges. You don't have to use the foam, but it helps to hide zip ties, etc. You can use smaller plants higher up where they are most effective.

When you use your plants in that foam, double-pot them. This means you foam a pot (I'd stick with 6" pots) into the foam, then plant your plants in other 6" pots. That way you can just slide your plants in and out as needed - super useful for switching out plants, or if you get an infestation of bugs or something. I primarily use pothos, but just got some spider plants that I'm going to try to split and grow.

That link to dragonstrand was helpful, thanks. I just ordered the large clear side enclosure and cant wait to get when they make their next build.

Where do you find that foam? I looked on amazon and i can only find the pest version, not the pond and stone.
Any other types that are safe and sold at a Home Depot or online?

What size sticks/branches do you think would you think would work with the lg dragonstrand cage to setup like those above ? (Link please)

That link to dragonstrand was helpful, thanks. I just ordered the large clear side enclosure and cant wait to get when they make their next build.

Where do you find that foam? I looked on amazon and i can only find the pest version, not the pond and stone.

What size sticks/branches do you think would you think would work with the lg dragonstrand cage to setup like those above ? (Link please)
Any landscape/waterfall foam is fine. It should say fish/pond/plant/etc. safe

I get all my foam supplies at Home Depot or Lowe's, and it's safe. We cover it with coco fibers, so that adds a layer of protection. Here's a pic of my first Dragonstrand before the plants and vines got in - I actually use this to show the difference in size between a Large Atrium and a 2x2x4' screen cage.
IMG_0959.JPG

The foam is generally carried by Ace Hardware here in the US, but you can find Pond&Stone Great Stuff easily online.

For sticks I like oak the best. I would get variable sizes. .5" - .75" diameter for vertical supports and .25" - .5" diameter for perching branches.

Back
Top Bottom