Best place for a hygrometer and themometer?

WacklieCacklie

Where's the best place to put the hygrometer and thermometer to accurately measure the humidity and temperature?
Also what sort of hygrometer and thermometer is better, digital or analog?

The analog guages are generally inaccurate. I have a digital temperature gun to measure temps and use a indoor/outdoor digital temperature/humidity display located next to the enclosure to monitor humidity.
You can buy the temperature/humidity probes and place them mid-upper part of the enclosure too.

The analog guages are generally inaccurate. I have a digital temperature gun to measure temps and use a indoor/outdoor digital temperature/humidity display located next to the enclosure to monitor humidity.
You can buy the temperature/humidity probes and place them mid-upper part of the enclosure too.

Alright thanks for the info :)

Yea, an IR gun is kinda a must these days and barely cost a $ on aliexpress/amazon anyways and they are pretty accurate. Big advantage of the IR gun is that they measure actual surface temperature instead of air temperature (like the probes do), they are fast and the laser guide is also a fun thing to make your cat chase it. (actually also works with my ackie)...

So yea... constant temp you may want to measure both ambient and spot, keep an IR gun to measure the temperature of the surface (make sure you compensate for the space your chameleon will take (and don't compensate with your hand because... you know... we are warmblooded :LOL:).
Personally I let the enclosure run a while before adding the animals and temperature different areas of the enclosure then I remove the temperature gauges and measure again when things change in the setup... I always have the IR gun for a quick measuring.

Humidity is best monitored in the ambient part of the enclosure because in the presence of heat humidity will fall. Like Crash bandit mentioned the analog gauges are pretty much useless, better spend an extra dollar on a digital one (again aliexpress and amazon are your friends).

Back
Top Bottom