Best option for heating Dubai container?

Blmelton

Established Member
I would like to start breeding Dubai. I really don’t want to do this in my house, but I will if necessary since it is so cold out. What is the best way to heat the container to 90*? Ceramic heat emitter? Heat mat? Flood light on a thermostat? Any tips for successfully heating & breeding outside during winter would be greatly appreciated. I live in South Carolina so winter here isn’t as harsh as some places but we do occasionally have nights that dip into the 20s. Like I said, I will do it inside but if I can do it outside, that is what I would prefer!

@Beman

I’m not saying you can’t do it outside in a SC winter but your definitely stacking the odds against yourself! The key to a successful breeding program is the ease of maintenance. My breeder bin is a 60gal aquarium with egg crates stood up vertically with a large heat mat attached to the side, manages the temperature perfectly.

@Beman

I’m not saying you can’t do it outside in a SC winter but your definitely stacking the odds against yourself! The key to a successful breeding program is the ease of maintenance. My breeder bin is a 60gal aquarium with egg crates stood up vertically with a large heat mat attached to the side, manages the temperature perfectly.
@Blmelton I am pretty sure that @Brodybreaux25 meant this for you :)

@Beman

Ok, thanks for the advice! BTW, how do you attach the heat mat? Also, substrate or no substrate? I’ve found info that suggests both. I currently have the coconut fiber substrate in there but will take it out if that’s what is best.

Also, unfortunately the roaches arrived before my egg crate flats did so the best I could do is use the ones they were shipped in and added some empty paper towel & toilet paper rolls that I had in my backup cricket container. Hopefully egg crates will come soon!
Right now they are inside in an extra large plastic bin with clamp on lamp (household bulb) pointed at the side of the container. I will order a heat/plant mat.

Last edited:
My heat mat is on a rug, but under. I used a plant mat, it doesnt get as hot. Adds about 20 degrees to ambient, which is perfect for me. They'll be fine till egg crate comes. Just give them stuff to climb and hide in.

Ok, thanks for the advice! BTW, how do you attach the heat mat? Also, substrate or no substrate? I’ve found info that suggests both. I currently have the coconut fiber substrate in there but will take it out if that’s what is best.
Clear packing tape, no substrate. Best thing to do is lay a couple of 2x4s on the floor of your bin and stand your crates up vertically on the boards. This keeps your crates up off the ground and keeps them higher, dryer, and much cleaner. If the crates are stacked horizontally you’ll be replacing them every few months.
733DA7BF-2AA0-4465-BE12-091EA80E886A.jpeg

No, that was for you. Just thought you might be interested in the discussion since we’ve been discussing Dubia lately, that’s all...
LOL Yeah I realized that about an hour after I posted that. Thank you! I am following along with this one as well. :)

Clear packing tape, no substrate. Best thing to do is lay a couple of 2x4s on the floor of your bin and stand your crates up vertically on the boards. This keeps your crates up off the ground and keeps them higher, dryer, and much cleaner. If the crates are stacked horizontally you’ll be replacing them every few months.View attachment 221902
Clear packing tape, no substrate. Best thing to do is lay a couple of 2x4s on the floor of your bin and stand your crates up vertically on the boards. This keeps your crates up off the ground and keeps them higher, dryer, and much cleaner. If the crates are stacked horizontally you’ll be replacing them every few months.View attachment 221902
Great! I love the 2x4 idea. My husband is in construction/repair work so we have plenty of scrap wood I can go dig through to find something that will work.

Ok, egg crates came yesterday and heat mat should be here today. I have an extra bin that I am setting up and getting ready to transfer the roaches into. I just realized I have a big problem! Now that they have been in the bin with the substrate for a couple of days, Transferring Them into the new bin (with no substrate is going to be tricky! I now have 500+ babies and ~20 adults that have burried themselves in the eco earth. What a mess! I have NO idea how to go about separating them ( especially the little ones) from the substrate

What do you feed them?

I have been feeding leftover fruits and vegetables. They’ve been eating it up! plan to seporate the ones I will use for feeding and put them in a small Kricket Keeper and feed them cricket crack a couple days before feeding.

Reactions: iMi
Ok, egg crates came yesterday and heat mat should be here today. I have an extra bin that I am setting up and getting ready to transfer the roaches into. I just realized I have a big problem! Now that they have been in the bin with the substrate for a couple of days, Transferring Them into the new bin (with no substrate is going to be tricky! I now have 500+ babies and ~20 adults that have burried themselves in the eco earth. What a mess! I have NO idea how to go about separating them ( especially the little ones) from the substrate
Bait. Remove all food and egg crates from your tub. Get a oven pan with low sides and place it in the bottom of your bin. Put some food in the pan and cover it with a single egg crate. All the roaches will climb up into the pan for the food and hiding spot while leaving the substrate on the floor of the bin. Might have to do it a couple of times but works well...

I’m 1/2 way there! I’ve done everything but the pan. It was pretty easy to get the adults even though they still creep me out BIG TIME! They didn’t bury themselves like the babies. I put one egg crate on the top of the substrate and have been moving the little ones over like 10 at a time. I like your way much better! I’ll go get a pan and some food now!

Back
Top Bottom