best med for URI?

lele

Avid Member
Cy may have an URI. He has minimal symptoms, but with his health not having been great lately we will be going to vet to catch anything early. None of my herps have every had one so I did a search here for meds that are used. My seems to use Baytril for any sort of infection. I see that it seems to be one of two meds mentioned, the other being Fortaz? I would be able to inject him or do it orally but would really like some opinions (veterinarian if any one is reading posts) before I go to vet.

Thanks and wish us luck! Cyrus is nearing his 5th birthday and I would sure like to share it with him.

lele

baytril is most commonly used for chams its fairly hash on them, but works well when used..I've never had any issues with using it..but not sure about others here??? Ive never used fortaz wish I had some info on that for you...good luck with you cham :)

thanks. just got back from vet and have a new question but will post under new thread so maybe I will get more replies :)

Since your cham is old baytril will be very harsh on him.

I recommend trying out reptaid by amber technologies, its an all natural medication and it works GREAT for URIs.
It's saved two of my previous baby chams life so far :)

I recommend trying out reptaid by amber technologies, its an all natural medication and it works GREAT for URIs.

Is Reptaid an actual medication that fights bacterial infections or is it a immune response support aid to be given during drug treatment? I've never used it but heard good things about it. Cy has other issues so lele would want to be absolutely sure about the active ingredients.

I am wondering if you have 2 names confused? There is Repta-Aid by Flukers which is mainly used in dehydrated animals and for support (as Carlton mentioned). It is a wonderful product and it is what I am using to get nutrition into him right now. I have used it on all my herps at one time or another.

I went to Amber Tech website to see about the product you mentioned but couldn't find it. Can you clarify?

Heres a link to the actual website

http://www.reptaid.com/

Chameleons northwest, one of our sponsors, also sells it and you can buy it on their website as well.
I've personally used it on more than one URI case and had great success.
On that reptaid website they have more testimonials.

I highly recommend you try this alterntive first before baytril just because of cy's age and baytril is hard on some internal organs, while reptaid if dosed correctly is not.

It helps boost the immune system, raises appiete, and helps fight the URI causing bacteria.

Reptaid has a list of all active ingredients on their website and what they do.

:(

Thanks for the link, Ashley. Interesting. I looked at the retailers and of course there is one right next to where I used to live across the state that carries it. I can't afford to have it shipped over night (this bill was $200) and I need to start him on something but will see what I can do.

It is probably not an URI and he may even be in renal failure. He looks to be in pretty bad shape - like the light is gone from his eyes :( His blood work will come back tomorrow and we will go from there.

Thanks again,
lele

Reptaid really perked up my wild caught pygmies. I would definately suggest it (if your vet thinks it's okay) to hopefully help the process along.

Thanks for the link, Ashley. Interesting. I looked at the retailers and of course there is one right next to where I used to live across the state that carries it. I can't afford to have it shipped over night (this bill was $200) and I need to start him on something but will see what I can do.

It is probably not an URI and he may even be in renal failure. He looks to be in pretty bad shape - like the light is gone from his eyes :( His blood work will come back tomorrow and we will go from there.

Thanks again,
lele

Best of luck lele.
I hope all goes well!
I've seen previous posts about Cy and I know hes a trooper!
Hang in there

Back
Top Bottom