Best gut-loading staple for crickets and superworms.

Kizmit910

I have a 5 month old veiled. I am wondering which product is best as a staple for crickets and superworms. I am currently using Fullers orange cubes and I just ordered cricket crack. I am feeding them collard greens, dandelion greens, carrots and squash.
Is one product better than the other as far as the orange cubes and cricket crack or should I go ahead and use both?
I can’t seem to find the list of ingredients for the cricket crack on their website.
Does it include calcium and D3?
Also, if I am using calcium and D3 to gut-load them, how often should I dust them?

dont use water crystals such as fullers orange cubes. To many histories of a feeder having a dried out bit stuck to the leg, and then get super hydrated in the animal and get stuck. They are not digestible by most animals.

An alternative is bug bug burger, but its simular to crick crack, so i would pick just one.

Here is what i use for dry if you dont want to use the premixed cricket crack or bug burger.

Or just to add a little extra.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/i-think-i-invented-dubia-crack.95938/

I have a 5 month old veiled. I am wondering which product is best as a staple for crickets and superworms. I am currently using Fullers orange cubes and I just ordered cricket crack. I am feeding them collard greens, dandelion greens, carrots and squash.
Is one product better than the other as far as the orange cubes and cricket crack or should I go ahead and use both?
I can’t seem to find the list of ingredients for the cricket crack on their website.
Does it include calcium and D3?
Also, if I am using calcium and D3 to gut-load them, how often should I dust them?
Hi there... Most of us use a combination. If you use vegetables it is really important to use mainly leafy greens and alternate what your using week to week. I don't use fresh veg and use commercial gutloads instead.

I use repashy bug burger, bee pollen and insect fuel (similar to cricket crack) I mix mine all together.
Here is my recipe.
7 teaspoons insect fuel
7 teaspoons Bug burger
1-2 teaspoons powdered bee pollen
Mix these all really well together in a microwave safe bowl.
add 7 tablespoons HOT water
Mix this really well then microwave for 40 seconds and mix again. Then pour directly into tupperwear container and put lid on. Store in your fridge. Lasts 1-2 weeks based on how many feeders I have. I give fresh every day and remove anything old.

Supplements are separate from gutloading. Gutloading is the transferring of nutritional items to the bugs for your cham to get. Supplements are to be dusted on the feeders. With a Veiled you would use calcium without D3 at every feeding, Calcium with D3 2 times a month, and a multivitamin 2 times a month. These two get alternated week to week.

I only use carrots in with my supers. They eat that plus the oat and bran bedding mix. Much of anything else brought mold... and the supers are a treat only.

Crickets and dubia on the otherhand get a wide variety. I dont use any water or food cubes.... they get their hydration from food. Occasionally they get some from me misting the soil/sides. I put in carrots, oranges, and bug burger/superload regularly. I also mix bee pollen and spirulina in the bug burger.

Other food mixes I add as I have them include kale, lettuce, squashes, papaya, blue berries, peppers, banana, mango, etc. So far Ive avoided using cucumbers or apples as they seem to mold too quickly.

Supplements are separate from gutloading. Gutloading is the transferring of nutritional items to the bugs for your cham to get. Supplements are to be dusted on the feeders. With a Veiled you would use calcium without D3 at every feeding, Calcium with D3 2 times a month, and a multivitamin 2 times a month. These two get alternated week to week.
Thank you! This is very helpful.

dont use water crystals such as fullers orange cubes. To many histories of a feeder having a dried out bit stuck to the leg, and then get super hydrated in the animal and get stuck. They are not digestible by most animals.
Thank you very much, this is very helpful!

An alternative is bug bug burger, but its simular to crick crack, so i would pick just one.

Here is what i use for dry if you dont want to use the premixed cricket crack or bug burger.

Or just to add a little extra.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/i-think-i-invented-dubia-crack.95938/

Supplementation schedule really depends on the brand you are using. Some are designed to more or less replace the others, while others are heavily dependant on multiple supplements.

Supplementation schedule really depends on the brand you are using. Some are designed to more or less replace the others, while others are heavily dependant on multiple supplements.
Thank you!
I am thinking I will use a combination of bug burger and Rapathys superload. I will also use collard greens, mustard and dandelion greens and carrots.

@snitz427 said..."I only use carrots in with my supers. They eat that plus the oat and bran bedding mix. Much of anything else brought mold... and the supers are a treat only"...why only carrots? They'll eat all the greens and veggies recommended to be fed to the crickets.

You all might be interested in this.....
https://www.adcham.com/html/husbandry/gutload.html

Any other food I’ve added has caused mold growth resulting in having to chuck the bins (I have large colonies). Once I had to throw out 3,000 super worms due to mold. Ever since I stick to carrots and have had no issues. They devour them pretty quickly, but what is left dries out well.

If I am feeding off more than one or two I sometimes throw them and BSFL in with bug burger an hour before feeding off. The supers dont seem to eat it much but the BSFL devour it. I figure I gutload everything else pretty well, but keeping their bedding clean is too much of a hassle.

Considering how often i feed them off, and ease of maintenance, the carrots have worked best. Apples surprisingly weren’t eaten much and quickly molded over.

Any other food I’ve added has caused mold growth resulting in having to chuck the bins (I have large colonies). Once I had to throw out 3,000 super worms due to mold. Ever since I stick to carrots and have had no issues. They devour them pretty quickly, but what is left dries out well.

If I am feeding off more than one or two I sometimes throw them and BSFL in with bug burger an hour before feeding off. The supers dont seem to eat it much but the BSFL devour it. I figure I gutload everything else pretty well, but keeping their bedding clean is too much of a hassle.

Considering how often i feed them off, and ease of maintenance, the carrots have worked best. Apples surprisingly weren’t eaten much and quickly molded over.

I have never had luck with oats, they always turn blue. Never had a problem with just straight bran.

An interesting, somewhat related note... when I throw supers and bsfl together to gutload - all is well. Threw a waxworm in with bsfl and the bsfl immediately swarmed and ate the entire wax worm (in about 15 minutes)!

I did what he did and made cubes that I can offer to dubia's, crickets, supers (though I no longer offer supers to him), and BSFL's. Keep them in the freezer and take them out as needed.

Back
Top Bottom