Best feeders to breed?

SourGrape4u

Avid Member
Title says it. I have a discoid colony and love them since they are hardy and dont stink. My cricket breeding I hate since they smell worse than dog $^!¥. What is another insect I can breed that is hardy, doesn't stink and is a good staple feeder?

yup, chams tend to love isopods too. They are said to be high in calcium as well.

Snails, depends on the species. there is a few threads on it. Most use helix aspersa. They are an extremely nutritious food option.

Snails generally need collected due to legality.

Porcellio hoffmannseggi get up to 2ish inches(massive!) and are among the largest. They are slower breeders and more sensitive. IME porcellio dilatatus and ornatus are some of the best feeders. Can get pretty large and breed much faster. Ornatus need a dryer set up with a humid retreat, while dilatatus thrive in dry or humid IME.

I always recommend the same thing :)

20200128_130702.jpg

where did you get these? I have been looking for those forever and the only websites I could find were british.

You catch them, and breed them. Its illegal to ship hoppers across states in the US. I feel like I am having Deja Vu again. For the third? time any feeder you "Cant find outside of "British"" is illegal in the US to move across state lines, 99.9% of Insects are illegal to ship in the US, EU is not as harsh. You have to look at hobbyist sites that play a little loose and get lucky, or catch them yourself or get into your local reptile circles, with folks who can sell to you.

You have to be careful with buying from "Hobbyist" sites too. If someone has a PPQ 526 for an insect they can sell them, and you buy it without a permit you have broken the law. They do not have to ask you if you have a permit, as long as they do, they are not breaking the law, but you are. Its very convoluted and complicated.

because they were illegal until last year.

They got taken off restrictions? I didn't know that.

Last edited:
You catch them, and breed them. Its illegal to ship hoppers across states in the US. I feel like I am having Deja Vu again.

3 species of the Melanoplus genus were legalized in August. Melanoplus differentialis is the largest of them, so that's what I work with.

90158302_652418001985185_2518038780460400640_n.jpg

You catch them, and breed them. Its illegal to ship hoppers across states in the US. I feel like I am having Deja Vu again. For the third? time any feeder you "Cant find outside of "British"" is illegal in the US to move across state lines, 99.9% of Insects are illegal to ship in the US, EU is not as harsh. You have to look at hobbyist sites that play a little loose and get lucky, or catch them yourself or get into your local reptile circles, with folks who can sell to you.

You have to be careful with buying from "Hobbyist" sites too. If someone has a PPQ 526 for an insect they can sell them, and you buy it without a permit you have broken the law. They do not have to ask you if you have a permit, as long as they do, they are not breaking the law, but you are. Its very convoluted and complicated.

i don't recall having asked you about those before. What website sells them illegally? I couldn't care less about buying grasshoppers illegally.

Back
Top Bottom