Best cage for east coast.

Trist

I live in the east coast and I feel like its going to be really hard to keep humidity where it needs to be during the year in a screen cage. But I heard glass cages cause respiratory issues. I would like to perhaps know the best possible way to keep a cham. (Also worried about power outages during storms)

what species?
Glass is fine if setup right for air circulation and the cage dries out at least once or twice a day.
Screen cage can have plastic placed on 3 out of 4 sides if needed for humidity.
Pothos are your friend.
Cham can go a week easy with no power/basking spot. Lights are not a life support system.

i don’t yet have a cham but once fl chams restocks (i asked when they will and haven’t gotten a response) i’m getting a panther chameleon (grier bloodline)

also, if i have a cham and my power does go out, it can survive without the uvb lights? if not how can i get them to stay on?
thank you!

I'm in pa and have a reptibreeze, $6 shower curtain and a $40 target humidifier fixed my humidity issues. also live plants help. only issue I have is the aethetics of the curtain taped to the frame :(

I'm in pa and have a reptibreeze, $6 shower curtain and a $40 target humidifier fixed my humidity issues. also live plants help. only issue I have is the aethetics of the curtain taped to the frame :(

thank you! i have a question, how do you make the plants safe for the little guy if he eats the dirt and or the plant? (eats as in like nibble)

East coast covers a large span of climates... that said you can always put solid sides on a screen cage easily. I glued corrugated plastic onto mine. I live in PA and it gets pretty dry in the winter, humid in the summer. Raising the humidity isn't too difficult IMO.

I’m in Jersey and I have an Exo Terra large extra tall terrarium. It’s elevated on a shelf. I keep the doors closed during the day but open the doors at night and unplug my mistking when my little guy is asleep so it fully dries out everything.. Next enclosure I get will definitely be a Dragon Strand atrium. If you haven’t checked those out do so, but there’s plenty of ways to maximize ventilation / minimize humidity loss / etc regardless of what you end up with. You just have to be proactive and attentive.

Don't tell anybody but I live in Connecticut :cautious:. I have an all screen cage, live plants and mist with a mistking. In the winter months you do need a plan if the power does go out for an extended period of time. In the event of an outage I worry more about keeping my guy warm and not worry about uvb.

Don't tell anybody but I live in Connecticut :cautious:. I have an all screen cage, live plants and mist with a mistking. In the winter months you do need a plan if the power does go out for an extended period of time. In the event of an outage I worry more about keeping my guy warm and not worry about uvb.
thank you

thank you! i have a question, how do you make the plants safe for the little guy if he eats the dirt and or the plant? (eats as in like nibble)

well first off I went and found a chameleon safe plant list, used the flcham one, also my enclosure is bio active, I ordered my substrate from thebiodude, not cheap but i wasn't sure how to mix the substrate to be safe and also hold tunnels cuz I have a female oustie. washed the plants well including removing most of the potting soil, before replanting in the mix in the pots I hung.

if you're worried about power outages i know a lot of people say they buy heat packs and then put the cham in a smaller container to keep heat up. or what you could do is get a small generator too.

Back
Top Bottom