Best Advice (rather than trusting google)

Hi and welcome! Good on you for coming here first before getting a chameleon and asking for advice! All too often people come here after getting the chameleon and the wrong setup and equipment! I was one of those people! We’re glad to have you! you’re owl is gorgeous! What an interesting pet to have!

It's an OK size, but why black? It's been shown that animals can be affected positively and/or negatively by color. Chameleons aren't nocturnal, and rainforest backgrounds aren't black.

IIRC, you're in the UK, so a hybrid enclosure would be best, IMO, but you don't need to blow out both side panels to get sufficient ventilation. A panel on the front—below the door—should be sufficient along with replacing the top with screen.

Will this be a standard enclosure (no substrate) or full bioactive?

I'll second MissSkittles on Chameleon Academy, along with the archives here.

Tomorrow is cleaning day, and I need to do some pruning.
View attachment 318760

Then you're likely aware that she'll still lay infertile eggs without mating, so she'll need a lay box, some lower temperatures, and you'll need to monitor food & supplements more carefully than for a male. You'll find all that on the Chameleon Academy site.

Thank you for the reply :) Ill be cutting into the side panels to add meshing for ventilation and adding a backdrop and plenty of plants in so there wont be too much black visible, also wanted to be sure that it holds a little heat as this room can get a little nippy due to the letter box being chewed almost off by a dog my partner was fostering for a short while, we are getting a new door though which is good.
If it does stress her out I will change it, I don't mind the extra work neither me or my partner work due to having spicy brains so we have plenty of time to give. and as were antisocial people we wont be going out much haha.

We also have 2 fish tanks in the room that the enclosure will be in which i assume will help with humidity? Ill be adding more vents at the bottom also and the top is going to be screened off also, just had to wait for the jigsaw :D,
It will have plants in but they will be in pots, but I do like the idea of having substrate at the bottom but it think that might just be more for me and aesthetics really.

We've been watching the Youtube channel that MissSkittles advised all night while doing a lot more research while i wait for paint to dry, and ill be reading more in the forums while I let my partner chop her fingers off with the jigsaw.

Of course at the moment as its only at the stage it is, we may change a few things as were taking everything into consideration so we get it as close to perfect as we can.

I love the selection of plants you have! I have most of those in my house already, but i wont be adding the snake plant to mine as its used to being abused too much because it enjoys it...

Thank you for the reply :) Ill be cutting into the side panels to add meshing for ventilation and adding a backdrop and plenty of plants in so there wont be too much black visible, also wanted to be sure that it holds a little heat as this room can get a little nippy due to the letter box being chewed almost off by a dog my partner was fostering for a short while, we are getting a new door though which is good.
If it does stress her out I will change it, I don't mind the extra work neither me or my partner work due to having spicy brains so we have plenty of time to give. and as were antisocial people we wont be going out much haha.

Sounds like you've got all the answers, so why ask?

I get that. There are also some who don't really want advice/help—they've already made up their minds, and are seeking validation.

I just don't have your saintly temperament.

Im not seeking validation at all, if i had made my mind up i wouldn't have joined this lovely forum... I would have thought i had it all figured out and i was queen of chams
But...
I was making sure i was doing this to the best of my ability and making sure i haven't left anything out, or if im doing something wrong. Just because im able to google and read things, or even use my brain and have a thought proccess. Doesn't mean Im 100% correct in what im doing or 100% sure, its always best to ask and get peoples personal experiences as i find that's the best way to learn. Trail and Error which people can pass on is normally the reason for forums like this. And i hope one day once im more experienced ill be able to help someone also.

But by all means if you think this is seeking validation that's fine sweetie.

Hi and welcome! Good on you for coming here first before getting a chameleon and asking for advice! All too often people come here after getting the chameleon and the wrong setup and equipment! I was one of those people! We’re glad to have you! you’re owl is gorgeous! What an interesting pet to have!
HI! thank you for the reply :D

Normally we would do something like that as were impulsive at times haha. We did it with the owl, brought her then modified the cage we have outside, thank god my partner knows about them as her aunty has one. Ill let her know she's got a complement! she loves a good ego boost :D
If i don't do something correctly or as best as i can it'll give me spicy thoughts and i wont be able to sleep as ill worry too much. so im really glad i found this forum and its lovely members.

I was making sure i was doing this to the best of my ability and making sure i haven't left anything out, or if im doing something wrong.
IMO you are repeating some mistakes of many many others.
  1. A black interior is going to absorb light rather than reflect it, and in an enclosure full of live plants, reducing the amount of light—direct or reflected—isn't always the best thing for the plants, unless you want an enclosure full of shade-loving plants. Painting the interior black does nothing for the chameleon or its welfare. It's strictly the vanity of the keeper.
    Also keep it away from sunlit windows; direct sunlight on a black enclosure can cook a reptile in short order (like an infant or dog in a car).

2. You also made mention of retaining heat. The enclosure is not going to retain heat (or humidity) with the sides basically being open windows. Heat comes primarily from the basking bulb, and ventilation works most efficiently (retaining temp & RH) when accomplished naturally via stack effect. Stack effect cannot be generated through the sides; it goes from bottom to top.
Passing on personal experiences—and trying to save you the tribulations of others (including myself) is exactly what I was—and am—doing. This is not my first rodeo.

If you choose to ignore, that's fine.

IMO you are repeating some mistakes of many many others.
  1. A black interior is going to absorb light rather than reflect it, and in an enclosure full of live plants, reducing the amount of light—direct or reflected—isn't always the best thing for the plants, unless you want an enclosure full of shade-loving plants. Painting the interior black does nothing for the chameleon or its welfare. It's strictly the vanity of the keeper.
    Also keep it away from sunlit windows; direct sunlight on a black enclosure can cook a reptile in short order (like an infant or dog in a car).

2. You also made mention of retaining heat. The enclosure is not going to retain heat (or humidity) with the sides basically being open windows. Heat comes primarily from the basking bulb, and ventilation works most efficiently (retaining temp & RH) when accomplished naturally via stack effect. Stack effect cannot be generated through the sides; it goes from bottom to top.
Passing on personal experiences—and trying to save you the tribulations of others (including myself) is exactly what I was—and am—doing. This is not my first rodeo.

If you choose to ignore, that's fine.

I understand that it its going to absorb light and heat, i understand how black works. I also know what plants like shade and plants that like full "sun".
I understand that at the moment it is a lot of black in there but once it is all set up there will be little black showing. yes it-is so its a little more aesthetically pleasing as for what im planning on doing thats the choice id like, but as there will be possibly around 20/30% of black youll actually be able to see.

The enclosure will not be near or facing a window, as not only will it cook, but it also creates algae ( iv had tanks near a window that went pretty green although it only had about 20% of the tank getting full sun for a few hours during the day) and i would rather not risk it.

Like i said previously we are changing plans as we go along, and the reason for the post was to see if what was floating around my brain was a good idea.
We have made the side smaller (about the size of a a4 paper if not smaller) and it will have a few extra vent holes near the bottom as i am fully aware on how heat rises, the humidity shouldn't be too much of an issue really as we tend to have humidifiers periodically (throughout the week) on for our house plants, and we have a 4ft x 3 ft fish tank that will be our enclosures neighbour ( dont worry. we dont have the lights on constantly on the fish tank, so you dont have to worry about it possibly stressing the cham) and we also have a smaller tank on the other side of the room.

But the issues you've raised are things that have already been considered and are also common sense, And honestly feel very condescending. As you would think that i wouldn't be capable, clearly. to think of these problems and then come up with a solution. Iv not slept all night because i have been researching, planning swapping ideas around. reading up about the ideas i have thought of to make sure they are right or as close as possible as i can.

""Also keep it away from sunlit windows; direct sunlight on a black enclosure can cook a reptile in short order (like an infant or dog in a car)"" I mean honestly...
I have both of those things, but even if i didnt have a child or have owned dogs ... its common sense, and the statement is clearly patronising.

So maybe before passing judgement or deciding that me and my wife (who has worked with animals for 15+years and has kept and breed reptiles) Have the combined IQ of a raisin.
I made the post on here because i wanted to elevate come of my stresses. as having anxiety i dont always trust what i read online. and sometimes i over think, or need just a little help gathering thoughts that may be jumbled up as sometimes i need things to be put terms as a convo for them to sink in a little better.

But hey maybe im here for validation or to be manspained too ¬_¬

Please don’t take offense. I understand how you feel but he was just trying to help. There’s lots of great and knowledgeable people here who really want to help you so please just be patient with us.

Please don’t take offense. I understand how you feel but he was just trying to help. There’s lots of great and knowledgeable people here who really want to help you so please just be patient with us.
i wouldn't take offence hun :3, Im glad so many amazing people are! iv not seen such an active forum in a long long time!
I was only getting annoyed with him as I hes not asked questions that would give him an understanding and when I have answered he has picked and choses what it is he wants to critique. Iv seen him on other people posts also being very similar, maybe its me and iv more people skills but it just infuriated me and being a strong independent woman (just about haha ) xD It just rubbed me the wrong way, maybe its because im British hahah

I’ve only joined a couple of other reptile forums and have found that they are not nearly as active. The one for bearded dragons isn’t too bad and usually within a few hours to a day someone responds. I tried being more active there for a short while but it’s a completely different type community. I love our forum and the dynamics of it. I’m very glad that you’ve found your way here and look forward to your sharing your chameleon journey. 💗

I’ve only joined a couple of other reptile forums and have found that they are not nearly as active. The one for bearded dragons isn’t too bad and usually within a few hours to a day someone responds. I tried being more active there for a short while but it’s a completely different type community. I love our forum and the dynamics of it. I’m very glad that you’ve found your way here and look forward to your sharing your chameleon journey. 💗
Iv tried other forums before (like the wiccan ones) and honestly they can be sooooo hostile! everyone here seems to buzz with communication :D
Today were getting meshing for the tank, and i have changed the idea of the side pannel and iv added a little glass door to the side as I thought if it did wish to come out but not be handled im going to add some branches on the wall next to it and have branches on the glass so she can easily come out or just have a peek, also thought it gives me somewhere I can put her cup on so its not too full on with the glass on the front being moved and me standing in the way looking like a giant predator, Ill take a picture of the idea so its easy to understand :D Iv yet to have my morning coffee haha

Back
Top Bottom