Bees and Crabapples?

Shilohpsu

So I spent the last week moving into a new house. It has a nice 12'x25' deck on the second level, so the first thing that I did was buy Herbert a little hibiscus tree. He of course loves it. I opened his cage and he ran to the glass sliding door like he normally does. So I opened the glass sliding door for him and he beelined towards the hibiscus.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Do I have to worry about him eating bees and wasps? I mean I'm sure that they'll sting the inside of his mouth if he were to eat one. Do wild chameleons eat insects with stingers or do they know not to eat them?

We let him crawl on the deck for the first time earlier today before I bought the hibiscus, and he tried to eat a crabapple. He got it with his tongue, chewed it for a second, and spit it out because it wasn't ripe and was rock hard. Are Crabapples bad for him to eat? I read @CharlieCharmingo 's thread about June bugs but would like to know more about bees and Crabapples. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

So I spent the last week moving into a new house. It has a nice 12'x25' deck on the second level, so the first thing that I did was buy Herbert a little hibiscus tree. He of course loves it. I opened his cage and he ran to the glass sliding door like he normally does. So I opened the glass sliding door for him and he beelined towards the hibiscus.
View attachment 163521
View attachment 163522
Do I have to worry about him eating bees and wasps? I mean I'm sure that they'll sting the inside of his mouth if he were to eat one. Do wild chameleons eat insects with stingers or do they know not to eat them?

We let him crawl on the deck for the first time earlier today before I bought the hibiscus, and he tried to eat a crabapple. He got it with his tongue, chewed it for a second, and spit it out because it wasn't ripe and was rock hard. Are Crabapples bad for him to eat? I read @CharlieCharmingo 's thread about June bugs but would like to know more about bees and Crabapples. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
My bearded dragons eat honey bees, no problem. Watch your cham, I bet that he can eat wasps and bees without getting stung. Let us know....

I urge you to watch him. Never leave him unless it's a quick second. I realize it's on a second floor but chameleons will climb away if there are other places to go.

I urge you to watch him. Never leave him unless it's a quick second. I realize it's on a second floor but chameleons will climb away if there are other places to go.

Yeah. I've seen a few stories on here about people losing them outside. I'll keep a keen eye on him while he's out there. I doubt that he'll be able to really get off of the deck, but I'm more worried about him falling off of the side if anything. He could get through the railing if he really tried. I'm also worried about a bald eagle or a hawk picking him off. I've seen them and heard them nearby while chilling on the deck. Good advice though! Thanks!

View attachment 163521
View attachment 163522

Ok first of all, that's the sweetest pic and I love how he ran right to the hibiscus!! Smart boy, he knows what he likes. Not sure about the bees and wasps. I'm waiting to hear as well what others say. That's a great question because I've wondered too about some bugs that may not be good for them...

Bees make up a major part of chameleons' diet but an African bee does not have the strong sting an English honey bee had. African bees might be incredibly ferocious but they have a weak sting. That said my chameleons are very careful to strike the head of a bug and bite the bug hard, often in half, as soon as they draw it into there mouth. My own have eaten bees and wasps before I could interfere. Mine are wild caughts which might make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom