Bedding

Chammy007

Established Member
hello, is it okay to go with a flowering bed with soil or only a flowering pot? I’m looking to build a terrarium such as below.thanks
1612039845457.jpeg

You can use either, my indoor enclosure is a 24” round fabric planter with folded down sides. Just make sure you use a good amount of soil drainage additives. There’s a list and links to shopping for great drainage products here https://caskabove.com/plant-care-1
Also you will need to make sure it has holes or a way for excess water to drain out of it. ☺️
Thanks much. What type of soil should I go with? And how deep should the soil be?

For bioactive:
2 parts sphagnum moss (not peat moss)
1 part coco fiber or organic potting soil
1 part orchid bark
1 part course sand (a little less is good)
1 part horticultural charcoal
I add vermiculite, pumice, and perlite because my Jackson’s chameleon doesn’t free range feed anymore or eat dirt. When I need to replant I will be mixing all of the above since it takes my soil over 3 weeks to dry the top two inches. And I’d fill til 2 inches from the top of the planter to keep in the microfauna. Btw you will have to make sure to cover any visible soil so your chameleon has no opportunity to eat anything that could cause impaction. So leaf liter or stones between your plants if not completely filled in. 😉

I use an organic potting soil with no mulch or fertilizers. I also add a leaf litter layers. I like to think it helps prevent any soil injestion but have never really ever seen an sign or even that, and I think it looks nicer.
20210130_232620.jpg
20210130_232601.jpg

Btw you will have to make sure to cover any visible soil so your chameleon has no opportunity to eat anything that could cause impaction. So leaf liter or stones between your plants if not completely filled in. 😉
As in the pic below. I’m not sure if that’s moss on top of the soil. Will moss do?
1612103862532.jpeg

For bioactive:
2 parts sphagnum moss (not peat moss)
1 part coco fiber or organic potting soil
1 part orchid bark
1 part course sand (a little less is good)
1 part horticultural charcoal
I add vermiculite, pumice, and perlite because my Jackson’s chameleon doesn’t free range feed anymore or eat dirt. When I need to replant I will be mixing all of the above since it takes my soil over 3 weeks to dry the top two inches. And I’d fill til 2 inches from the top of the planter to keep in the microfauna. Btw you will have to make sure to cover any visible soil so your chameleon has no opportunity to eat anything that could cause impaction. So leaf liter or stones between your plants if not completely filled in. 😉
Hey, how much should one part be? 1gallon? 2 gallon?etc. for a tank measuring 48x24x24

You can use either, my indoor enclosure is a 24” round fabric planter with folded down sides. Just make sure you use a good amount of soil drainage additives. There’s a list and links to shopping for great drainage products here https://caskabove.com/plant-care-1
Also you will need to make sure it has holes or a way for excess water to drain out of it. ☺️
Just making sure. Is THIS bedding okay? For a tank measuring 48x24x24. Or should the depth be deeper?thanks

Nobody with bio covers the top of their soil, that defeats the purpose. When will the impaction myth end? I'd have mountains of dead chameleons now if eating soil particles was dangerous. Look up @cyberlocc bioactive blog on here. Has everything you need to know. Bioactive can be done with a half inch of soil or 20 feet depending on your plant requirements.

My experience so you know I'm not BSing: about 20 different chameleon bio enclosures, and many more invert.

People overthink bio, the steps are for the plants. As long as it's not toxic or a choking hazard(bark) any substrate will do. You just want something that the plants can thrive in while offering shelter/food to the Cuc. The main part of the CuC is simply the aerobic bacteria that colonizes throughout outcompeting fungi and harmful types of bacteria. See aquarium cycling for a little bit of an understanding on what's happening in the soil. Not much different.

People overthink bio, the steps are for the plants. As long as it's not toxic or a choking hazard(bark) any substrate will do. You just want something that the plants can thrive in while offering shelter/food to the Cuc. The main part of the CuC is simply the aerobic bacteria that colonizes throughout outcompeting fungi and harmful types of bacteria. See aquarium cycling for a little bit of an understanding on what's happening in the soil. Not much different.
I tried googling. Was does CuC mean?

Back
Top Bottom