Bearded dragon hide ideas

I built mine a "basking mountain" out of bricks that includes several hides. Sometimes he uses them, sometimes he hides under his log, and sometimes he sleeps in the open—he's pretty chill.

1630328403962.png

I've tried other types, but he ignores them. When he brumated last year, I extended the bottom hide out the back for a little more room. He spent the better part of 4 months in it.

I built mine a "basking mountain" out of bricks that includes several hides. Sometimes he uses them, sometimes he hides under his log, and sometimes he sleeps in the open—he's pretty chill.

View attachment 309069

I've tried other types, but he ignores them. When he brumated last year, I extended the bottom hide out the back for a little more room. He spent the better part of 4 months in it.
Thank you. This is helpful. Mine likes to sleep in her hammock. I do have an under rock space but she only passes through it and it’s not quite long enough to truly hide in. I tried a box and a more formal hide but she’s uninterested in either. She likes to be out it seems. I am trying her box with a wider opening and turned another way. She’s been going to bed earlier so I wanted to be prepared for brumation just in case. I do know that we need a bigger enclosure as she’s approaching a year old.

Attachments

• 879C74FF-D305-4899-A3C3-560A2665C5E9.jpeg
    879C74FF-D305-4899-A3C3-560A2665C5E9.jpeg
    402.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 1BCF9833-3FF1-482E-9607-3890B4D901DB.jpeg
    1BCF9833-3FF1-482E-9607-3890B4D901DB.jpeg
    348.1 KB · Views: 96
  • BF654C05-C51A-4E9A-90F2-4A91400EF7BC.jpeg
    BF654C05-C51A-4E9A-90F2-4A91400EF7BC.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 94
Thank you. This is helpful. Mine likes to sleep in her hammock. I do have an under rock space but she only passes through it and it’s not quite long enough to truly hide in. I tried a box and a more formal hide but she’s uninterested in either. She likes to be out it seems. I am trying her box with a wider opening and turned another way. She’s been going to bed earlier so I wanted to be prepared for brumation just in case. I do know that we need a bigger enclosure as she’s approaching a year old.
I should also add, I know it’s not ideal to gave them on the floor, but she is in a very low traffic room and we plan to get a stand with her new enclosure. We are saving for a Zen Habitat. She was re-home and was supposed to come with “everything” but came without any lighting, her tank was filthy and she was sick so we had to scramble to get her situated before we could think of ordering anything that would take time to arrive, not to mention the surprise of the added expense. Lesson learned to get more details but I’m also glad we brought her home anyway.

The Zen is a good (and good size) enclosure. When she gets ready to brumate, you'll know it; it doesn't just happen like flipping a switch—mine sort of eased into it over a few days, and he would wake up for short periods. I finally got smart and saved the UVB until he woke up (which he also had to ease into... :LOL: ).

That piece of shale is similar to the extension I put on the back, so it'll be fine when the time comes (if it does)—even if she sleeps half-in and half-out. You can always expand/build more around her. :)

First year, I changed my timers to more closely approximate the local seasons. I think that may have triggered brumation. Since waking up, I've had him on 12/12 like our other reptiles; hopefully, he won't brumate again (we missed him too much—he's a character), but time will tell. 🕰️

I’ve tried a couple of different hides for my guy. I bought this giant pyramid thing and then with scrap styrofoam and extra Great Stuff foam, made him one. His frequent pooping on the one I made spoke volumes. While I had it out to clean once again, he got a box which he ignored. Now he has his pyramid back and seems happy about it. Every morning he crawls inside, rests his chin on the lip of the entrance and waits for food.

I’ve tried a couple of different hides for my guy. I bought this giant pyramid thing and then with scrap styrofoam and extra Great Stuff foam, made him one. His frequent pooping on the one I made spoke volumes. While I had it out to clean once again, he got a box which he ignored. Now he has his pyramid back and seems happy about it. Every morning he crawls inside, rests his chin on the lip of the entrance and waits for food.
I’ll keep trying different ones every so often. I did put a smaller box in with a larger opening and a flannel in the bottom and she used that a couple times but still seems to prefer the hammock all day and night if she’s not basking or eating.

I’ll keep trying different ones every so often. I did put a smaller box in with a larger opening and a flannel in the bottom and she used that a couple times but still seems to prefer the hammock all day and night if she’s not basking or eating.
Ahh…the hammock…a beardies most favorite thing! I guess if I had one and no responsibilities, I’d be hanging out on it all the time too. 😊 As long as you have a hide for her, she’ll use it when she wants.

Back
Top Bottom