BBC Earth Chameleon Video

Last night I was watching another Earth series episode from 2009. Quite a shock to hear Attenborough's narration during a sequence of a panther cham shooting at a mantis. He actually said chameleons have the ability to change their color to match their surroundings! Thought that one was dead and buried years ago. So much for media.

Last night I was watching another Earth series episode from 2009. Quite a shock to hear Attenborough's narration during a sequence of a panther cham shooting at a mantis. He actually said chameleons have the ability to change their color to match their surroundings! Thought that one was dead and buried years ago. So much for media.

:D

It's weird to me because, it makes perfect sense for a chameleon to blend into its background for the purpose of hunting and/or hiding from predators. That and the leaf walk combine would make them less vulnerable. I guess they are more like a poison dart frog who uses its bright colors to thwart off being eaten.

:D

It's weird to me because, it makes perfect sense for a chameleon to blend into its background for the purpose of hunting and/or hiding from predators. That and the leaf walk combine would make them less vulnerable. I guess they are more like a poison dart frog who uses its bright colors to thwart off being eaten.

Well, the fact that they have a pattern rather than one solid color does help them hide, because a more complex pattern breaks up their silhouette when the background is busy (leaves). Same thing for zebras or leopards. A changeable color can confuse predators too. Chams have other features that help them hide...the leaf walk, their ability to sit completely still yet hunt or watch for predators without giving themselves away (those wonderful independent eyes), their eyelids that cover almost all of their eye (many predators key in on eye movement or eye shine). The issue is what triggers the color change. Its emotional response, not a reaction to their surroundings. And, their color change is limited despite what their background might be. That's the old wives' tale.

Well, the fact that they have a pattern rather than one solid color does help them hide, because a more complex pattern breaks up their silhouette when the background is busy (leaves). Same thing for zebras or leopards. A changeable color can confuse predators too. Chams have other features that help them hide...the leaf walk, their ability to sit completely still yet hunt or watch for predators without giving themselves away (those wonderful independent eyes), their eyelids that cover almost all of their eye (many predators key in on eye movement or eye shine). The issue is what triggers the color change. Its emotional response, not a reaction to their surroundings. And, their color change is limited despite what their background might be. That's the old wives' tale.

Thanks for the knowledge. I am learning more and more about these amazing creatures everyday. :)

Very cool video. Thanks for sharing it. Would have been great if they would have captured them shooting prey too.

Funny, I watched the same Earth series and I was shocked to hear him say that chameleons could change colors to match their surroundings. I told my daughter that I was surprised that BBC got it wrong..

Back
Top Bottom