BB flies can stand the cold!!

reptoman

Avid Member
I got my 500 pupae in the mail yesterday but the mail came late so I did not get them into the house until this morning. They sat in the mailbox overnight with temps at 17F. I was sure they would all be dead but flies are already starting to emerge and fly around. I can't believe it.... Awesome feeders and now I dont have to worry about ordering theseif its a little cold outside. Thanks to colorcham!

Thats why most people keep them in the fridge until their ready to use them.

I knew you could keep them in the fridge but it was really cold last night. Down in the middle teens. I know they survive extreme temps, otherwise we would be bug free after a good freeze but was still impressed that they came right out of the box and started moving around within minutes.

I knew you could keep them in the fridge but it was really cold last night. Down in the middle teens. I know they survive extreme temps, otherwise we would be bug free after a good freeze but was still impressed that they came right out of the box and started moving around within minutes.

They must be for baby chams right? How do you keep them from escaping and flying out into the house?:confused:

My adult panthers and my carpets go after these like crazy. BB flies are 1/2" long so are good for juvis and adults. After they emerge from the pupae you put them in the fridge for 15-20 minutes and let them get slow and groggy, then quickly put them into the cages and shut the door. They start flying in 2 minutes or so. Flying BB flies dont last long in the cage. I usually feed 10 or so to the juvis in a day while I have them. More of a snack for the adults but they enjoy the hunt. It really stimulates the feeding response escpecially in winter when they tend to slow down a bit on feeding.

My adult panthers and my carpets go after these like crazy. BB flies are 1/2" long so are good for juvis and adults. After they emerge from the pupae you put them in the fridge for 15-20 minutes and let them get slow and groggy, then quickly put them into the cages and shut the door. They start flying in 2 minutes or so. Flying BB flies dont last long in the cage. I usually feed 10 or so to the juvis in a day while I have them. More of a snack for the adults but they enjoy the hunt. It really stimulates the feeding response escpecially in winter when they tend to slow down a bit on feeding.

1000% agree. my quads love them to death too.

I buy them for my mantids, but how can I not feed some off to my chams? they love them more then any other feeder.

Harry

Back
Top Bottom