Baytril and URIs

Jerambis

Recently Dave and I found Coccidia in one of my chams, so to get the meds for him and just for a checkup in general I took my cham to the vet. He gave me Albon for the coccidia, and then perscribed me baytril since the coccidia can sometimes lead to infections. I also told the vet I thought he had a URI, but he did not think he did. Now after 5 days of meds, it is clear that he also has a URI. My question is, will Baytril get rid of a URI or is another form of medication generally perscribed?

Recently Dave and I found Coccidia in one of my chams, so to get the meds for him and just for a checkup in general I took my cham to the vet. He gave me Albon for the coccidia, and then perscribed me baytril since the coccidia can sometimes lead to infections. I also told the vet I thought he had a URI, but he did not think he did. Now after 5 days of meds, it is clear that he also has a URI. My question is, will Baytril get rid of a URI or is another form of medication generally perscribed?

Hey Jerambis,
Just to make sure its definatly URI open your chams mouth and look deeo in his throat. In the back of his throat if URI is present you will see bubbles of mucus in there. If this is the case Baytril is the way to go. Baytril is the number one prescribed medicine for URI. Hope all goes well.

Cool, thanks for the help. Anyone know the turn around on chams? I never have had one that has gotten sick before. We caught the parasites and URI at a early-middle stage.

One of my Meru's just had a serious URI infection and was treated for 14 days on ampicillin. By the 3rd day mucus subsided and breathing was normal. Although chameleons differ like people i suspect that the symptoms should subside by a week. This has been my personal observation of medication administered orally. Good luck with the treatment hope all goes well.
Edward

Last edited:
...My question is, will Baytril get rid of a URI or is another form of medication generally perscribed?
Howdy,
Yep. As was posted, Baytril is most often prescribed for a typical URI. If things don't change after a week then there may be something else going on other than just a URI that is presenting those symptoms. When fighting a URI, it is often suggested that you keep the basking temps towards the higher-end of your chameleon's normal range.

Back
Top Bottom