Baxter

apondozzi

Chameleon Info:
• Your Chameleon - Ambilobe panther chameleon, male, almost 10 months old. Had him since June of this year.
• Handling - Once every day or two. Taken outside usually at least once a day.
• Feeding - Silkworms, superworms, and small/medium crickets. Usually 2-3 superworms per day and either 2-3 silkworms or 3-5 small/medium crickets per day. Crickets gutloaded with fresh fruits and veggies (usually orange or apple, carrots, kale greens, green bean) and also a store-bought cricket multi-vitamin dust (cricket crack).
• Supplements - Fluker's calcium without vitamin d used on almost every prey item. Rep-Cal calcium with vitamin d and Rep-Cal Herptivite multivitamin one day a month respectively.
• Watering - Mistking system with three nozzles. Frequent mistings, one every hour to two hours for one to two minutes. I see him drink from dew collected on enclosure screen as well as off of the vines and leaves in the enclosure.
• Fecal Description - Brown to dark brown, solid droppings with white to orange urates. Usually poops once a day. Has had 3 fecals since June.
• History - Has had coccidia in the past and a flagellated parasite. Slight malformation of the front legs due rough handling during shipping and a initial, slight calcium deficiency. More recently, he has lost a few nails on both the front and hind legs. Has always been a strong eater and mildly active.

Cage Info:
• Cage Type - Screen enclosure, H 26''x W 24''x D 12''
• Lighting - Zoo Med 75 W basking lamp on metal fixture and Exo-terra Reptiglo 5.0 linear bulb. Both on from 9 am to 9 pm. UVB bulb around 4 months old.
• Temperature - Ambient temps of enclosure during the day between 79 and 86 degrees with the basking spot getting to about 90. At night usually around 75 degrees with a nice air flow all day.
• Humidity - Humidity during the day ranges from 60-80% with frequent mistings.
• Plants - No live plants.
• Placement - Spare bedroom with nearly no house traffic, two large windows and one a/c vent. Enclosure is on a drainage shelf about five feet from the floor.
• Location - North Florida, US

Current Problem - Lately will close one eye at random times during the day and before going to sleep. Observed lots of eye "cleaning" and rubbing. Also I have noticed some saliva bubbles coming from the mouth maybe once every couple days for the last four or five days. It does seem as though he is slightly less active. Today I was feeding him supers and he was in the sun outside, probably around 80-85 degrees and I noticed he didn't fully swallow one of them. Was gaping with a partially eaten worm in the back of his throat, don't kow if that has anything to do with it or if it is just a wacky behavior.

Chameleon Info:
• Your Chameleon - Ambilobe panther chameleon, male, almost 10 months old. Had him since June of this year.
• Handling - Once every day or two. Taken outside usually at least once a day.
• Feeding - Silkworms, superworms, and small/medium crickets. Usually 2-3 superworms per day and either 2-3 silkworms or 3-5 small/medium crickets per day. Crickets gutloaded with fresh fruits and veggies (usually orange or apple, carrots, kale greens, green bean) and also a store-bought cricket multi-vitamin dust (cricket crack).
• Supplements - Fluker's calcium without vitamin d used on almost every prey item. Rep-Cal calcium with vitamin d and Rep-Cal Herptivite multivitamin one day a month respectively.
• Watering - Mistking system with three nozzles. Frequent mistings, one every hour to two hours for one to two minutes. I see him drink from dew collected on enclosure screen as well as off of the vines and leaves in the enclosure.
• Fecal Description - Brown to dark brown, solid droppings with white to orange urates. Usually poops once a day. Has had 3 fecals since June.
• History - Has had coccidia in the past and a flagellated parasite. Slight malformation of the front legs due rough handling during shipping and a initial, slight calcium deficiency. More recently, he has lost a few nails on both the front and hind legs. Has always been a strong eater and mildly active.

Cage Info:
• Cage Type - Screen enclosure, H 26''x W 24''x D 12''
• Lighting - Zoo Med 75 W basking lamp on metal fixture and Exo-terra Reptiglo 5.0 linear bulb. Both on from 9 am to 9 pm. UVB bulb around 4 months old.
• Temperature - Ambient temps of enclosure during the day between 79 and 86 degrees with the basking spot getting to about 90. At night usually around 75 degrees with a nice air flow all day.
• Humidity - Humidity during the day ranges from 60-80% with frequent mistings.
• Plants - No live plants.
• Placement - Spare bedroom with nearly no house traffic, two large windows and one a/c vent. Enclosure is on a drainage shelf about five feet from the floor.
• Location - North Florida, US

Current Problem - Lately will close one eye at random times during the day and before going to sleep. Observed lots of eye "cleaning" and rubbing. Also I have noticed some saliva bubbles coming from the mouth maybe once every couple days for the last four or five days. It does seem as though he is slightly less active. Today I was feeding him supers and he was in the sun outside, probably around 80-85 degrees and I noticed he didn't fully swallow one of them. Was gaping with a partially eaten worm in the back of his throat, don't kow if that has anything to do with it or if it is just a wacky behavior.

Is the "saliva bubbles coming from the mouth" something that occurs while he is drinking? A dehydrated really thirsty cham will often produce a lot of saliva while actively drinking. The reason I ask is that a very common reason for eye rubbing, eye cleaning, and closing an eye is irritation from dry air. Check to see how long after misting your cage is actually as humid as 80%. If the cage dries out really fast he could be spending much of his time in a cage that is a bit TOO dry for comfort. Check the humidity level in the room itself too. If there is no discharge from the eye he is rubbing, the eyelid isn't stuck shut, there may not be an eye problem.

anyone?

i'm bumping this because i'm still having trouble figuring out what might be the issue with his eye. i haven't noticed any saliva bubbles or anything like that, temps have cooled here now, so the air is getting dryer but i have added a hanging pothos and a small umbrella plant to help. there is no crust discharge from the eye, he just closes one of them up every once and a while for a few minutes and then just opens it back. anyone else deal with an issue like this? i'm worried he could have rubbed it against something and that may have caused an infection.

Back
Top Bottom