Basking?

AdamJB

I just got my first veiled yesterday. So far he's looking good and eating well. My only main concern is I havent seen him venture to the upper part of the cage to bask just stay in the middle part kinda hidden. Do chameleons actually bask like my beardie does or no?

if you just got him the other day then he is probably just trying to get accustomed to his new surrounding's. my veiled loves to bask and im sure yours will start very soon.

It can take several days/weeks for a cham to become accustomed to a new home. In the wild they live alone and when you put them in a new place that are worried that there may be other chams around. After a while they become used to the space around them and will be more active. I wouldn't worry about it right now, just keep up the lighting and supplements.

As previously stated it will take your animal some time to get comfortable in his new surroundings. Once he establishes the enclosure as his “territory” he will become visibly more active. That being said chameleons are not dumb animals and in most cases the animal will do what it wants. If it needs to warm up it will bask, if it is too hot it will move to a cooler part of the cage. Stress can force an animal out of its regular habits thus causing health issues. However, considering that your Chameleon is new to his enclosure, give him some time to come around, in time you will notice subtle changes in his behaviour.

Best of luck
Kos

mine basks almost all day, besides when he's hunting for lunch, and he daily mistings are gong on. then he just runs away from the water.

Back
Top Bottom