Basking with left eye closed?

Do you guys know of a vitamin a supplement
https://zoomed.com/reptivite-with-d3/

You need to pay attention to what we're telling you and get it right/figured out ASAP...before you have more issues.

It's important that the vitamin A and D3 and calcium and PHOS are all in balance and in the right form. It's important that you feed the insects a nutritious, well-balanced diet too. It's important that the temperatures are right and that the chameleon gets the right UVB light. It's important that water is provided properly and the cage be set up properly and kept clean. If all of this isn't done and done properly your chameleon is going to have problems, suffer and die.

I hope you can get it figured out soon.

Last edited:
https://zoomed.com/reptivite-with-d3/

You need to pay attention to what were telling you and get it right/figured out ASAP...before you have more issues.

It's important that the vitamin A and D3 and calcium and PHOS are all in balance and in the right form. It's important that you feed the insects a nutritious, well-balanced diet too. It's important that the temperatures are right and that the chameleon gets the right UVB light. It's important that water is provided properly and the cage be set up properly and kept clean. If all of this isn't done and done properly your chameleon is going to have problems, suffer and die.

I hope you can get it figured out soon.
For the record, temps are right, water IS provided properly, and the ONLY thing missing from my supplement routine is vitamin A. Her cage was cleaned about 2 weeks ago, it's about due for another cleaning, but it is cleaned regularly I assure you. I think you are overthinking it too much, you are rightfully concerned about the supplement routine, everything else I've already heeded your advice. This was an honest mistake and oversight, I thought I had vitamin A in the supplements, that's not the case. It'll be addressed I assure you.

After giving her eye a good spray, she's opening it now and doesn't seem bothered by it, I think it was debris in her eye, usually I'm careful to not hit her with the water, I'll make sure to take longer on my mistings and give her the opportunity to cleanse her eyes, I didn't know.

Thanks for the help everyone.

And then also, useful tips on bacteria and parasites. I'll make sure to be mindful of cleaning plants and things when moving between cages. Is there a recommended cleaner that is safe for chameleons that will kill parasites and bacteria? Or how do you go about addressing those things in an enclosure? Either preventing and/or getting rid of if needed.

And then also, useful tips on bacteria and parasites. I'll make sure to be mindful of cleaning plants and things when moving between cages. Is there a recommended cleaner that is safe for chameleons that will kill parasites and bacteria? Or how do you go about addressing those things in an enclosure? Either preventing and/or getting rid of if needed.
All parasites are different. They require different meds and different cleaning. It is best just not to cross contaminate anything from one cage to the other. Most parasites you would deal with are going to cycle by the oocysts coming out in the fecal. The cham licks the branch where this was and picks up one of the oocysts or a feeder walks across it and the cham eats the feeder. The cycle for the parasite life now begins in the cham after ingesting the oocyst.

So this is why fecals are important. Especially if you have more then one cham.

All parasites are different. They require different meds and different cleaning. It is best just not to cross contaminate anything from one cage to the other. Most parasites you would deal with are going to cycle by the oocysts coming out in the fecal. The cham licks the branch where this was and picks up one of the oocysts or a feeder walks across it and the cham eats the feeder. The cycle for the parasite life now begins in the cham after ingesting the oocyst.

So this is why fecals are important. Especially if you have more then one cham.
Thank you. So if something comes up I'll know it's parasitic in nature. My chameleons all are acting normal at this moment, no more eye closing.

It could be. Fecals are the only way to know if there is a parasite issue.
You could be right. If the odd behavior continues or something really does seem off then I'll be sure to get down to the vet for her. Right now she is alert, eyes open, still eating and drinking, but I am not an expert on parasites and have no clue if waiting until signs show is too late

You could be right. If the odd behavior continues or something really does seem off then I'll be sure to get down to the vet for her. Right now she is alert, eyes open, still eating and drinking, but I am not an expert on parasites and have no clue if waiting until signs show is too late
I think the eye closing was directly related to having something in it. But this does not mean that she does not need a proper multivitamin that has vitamin A in it. This should be done as well for all your chams. Per the fecals they are always a good idea. I will never tell someone not to get one. Normally by the time we see the signs of a health issue we are trying to play catch up to fix what is wrong. Sometimes this can be too late.

I think the eye closing was directly related to having something in it. But this does not mean that she does not need a proper multivitamin that has vitamin A in it. This should be done as well for all your chams. Per the fecals they are always a good idea. I will never tell someone not to get one. Normally by the time we see the signs of a health issue we are trying to play catch up to fix what is wrong. Sometimes this can be too late.
Oh no I agree. I AM fixing the supplements regardless. I agree I think she had something in her eye. I don't want to play catch up for sure. I'm going to be mindful of this initial behavior regardless and make sure it doesn't present itself again. I am going to get fecals done on her anyway I think. Do you have an idea of how much this typically costs?

Oh no I agree. I AM fixing the supplements regardless. I agree I think she had something in her eye. I don't want to play catch up for sure. I'm going to be mindful of this initial behavior regardless and make sure it doesn't present itself again. I am going to get fecals done on her anyway I think. Do you have an idea of how much this typically costs?
This varies widely vet to vet. I was paying $60 per fecal in CA. My vet in AZ charges $50. I have seen some that are less.

Your welcome. :)
So after replacing my old supplement with the new supplement, ive fed all 3 chameleons 1 dubia roach (good size and gutloaded with repashi bug burger) dusted with this new reptivite supplement, rather than doing a large single feed. Reason I did it a couple days in a row (1 today and 1 yesterday) is the low quantity of insects fed during the initial feeding, I want to make sure they have sufficient levels of everything.

As of yesterday my panther has started perking up again, she drank her fill yesterday and happily ate another dusted roach today, both eyes open. Yesterday was kinda hit and miss, like the vitamin A was working but she kept closing her eye for a little while then she'd open it back up, as of today her eye is totally open and normal.

Also something notable from yesterday is when I handled her, she started rubbing that eye on my finger, and I kinda started rubbing against the eye lightly along with her, trying to work whatever she may have had stuck in there out of the eye. So it was maybe a combination of the two. She was seeming a little tired and like she didn't have a ton of energy while basking, I'm confident addressing these insufficient supplements that dont have any vitamin A at all, and replacing them with this reptivite supplement, has made a world of difference, even my veiled is seeming a bit more perky.

Obviously getting all the nutrients they need is quintessential to good health and long life, so I'm glad I noticed these signs super quickly, before the issue really could take root.

I still have a vet appointment for roodie today (my panther) and am planning on getting her checked out anyway, and at the very least getting fecals done.

I think all is well now, the eye closing seems to have dissipated, and I'll be resuming standard vitamin and supplement routines on the first sunday next month, will continue just giving calcium on the regular feedings.

Thanks again for all of the help and advice, this wouldn't have been possible without you all, I just wanted to give you an update on her status.

Back
Top Bottom