Basking temps for breeders?

Reptofreak

Chameleon Enthusiast
Just wondering what basking temps everyone is keeping their breeding panthers at? My males are at 85 and females 82, wondering if I should bump them up slightly?

I don't breed but I would not bump them up... Your temps now for both are at max temp for them.
Right, but I’m wondering if a slight bump say 2-3 degrees might increase breeding activity? That said, I definitely don’t want any thermal burns.

Right, but I’m wondering if a slight bump say 2-3 degrees might increase breeding activity? That said, I definitely don’t want any thermal burns.
Well bumping the temps on your girl is going to increase her chances of a much larger clutch. This would be my concern for her. Most keep females at a max basking temp of 79-80 to control a clutch size. For your male your already at a max recommended temp for a male. It becomes harmful for them to live under hotter temps and shortens lifespan.

@Kaizen breeds other species maybe reach out to him and get his thoughts on it.

Well bumping the temps on your girl is going to increase her chances of a much larger clutch. This would be my concern for her. Most keep females at a max basking temp of 79-80 to control a clutch size. For your male your already at a max recommended temp for a male. It becomes harmful for them to live under hotter temps and shortens lifespan.

@Kaizen breeds other species maybe reach out to him and get his thoughts on it.
Thanks @Beman! To be honest, my panthers are kept in my greenhouse. Daytime temp = 74-77, nightime 48-50. The only extra heat my panthers get is from their t5’s. I’ve never known a male panther to not be “in the mood”, regardless of temps. Females may be slower to cycle at lower temps, but they will become receptive even at my temps. We just bred out Ambilobes.

Thanks @Beman! To be honest, my panthers are kept in my greenhouse. Daytime temp = 74-77, nightime 48-50. The only extra heat my panthers get is from their t5’s. I’ve never known a male panther to not be “in the mood”, regardless of temps. Females may be slower to cycle at lower temps, but they will become receptive even at my temps. We just bred out Ambilobes.
Thank, this is exactly the type of hands on info I’m looking for.

Rather than adjust temperatures you might just lengthen your daylight hours from 12 to 12 and a quarter hours.Their equatorial days are just a tiny bit longer in summer. Or you could just wait for spring to roll around again. They seem to pick up on daylight cues from light coming thru the windows. Their hormones wax and wane accordingly.

Rather than adjust temperatures you might just lengthen your daylight hours from 12 to 12 and a quarter hours.Their equatorial days are just a tiny bit longer in summer. Or you could just wait for spring to roll around again. They seem to pick up on daylight cues from light coming thru the windows. Their hormones wax and wane accordingly.
This is a brilliant suggestion!

Great idea! Never thought of that.

Everyone will tell you something different and they are all right. I got them outside all year long, unless temps go down to 50, so there may be 95 on a hot summer day, but 70s on a cool winter day, they will regulate their temperature, so it's not as important what the temperature really is but to create a gradient, so that he can go lower and hide if he is to hot. So if you got thick bushes planted inside your enclosure he will be fine if you have 80 or 90 for basking, just like in nature, nobody in nature dim the sun for them if too hot.

Back
Top Bottom