Basking temp????

Kronos

Established Member
We have a 3 month old baby named Zelus. We got him from Kammerflage and they said his basking temp should be
88-93, but everyone we talked to on here previously about the other chameleon we had said to make sure it’s 80-85. So, do I go with what Kammerflage says? Since they are one of the best breeders out there and have been very successful for many years with the way they do things.

We have a 3 month old baby named Zelus. We got him from Kammerflage and they said his basking temp should be
88-93, but everyone we talked to on here previously about the other chameleon we had said to make sure it’s 80-85. So, do I go with what Kammerflage says? Since they are one of the best breeders out there and have been very successful for many years with the way they do things.
My panther baby came from a really reputable breeder who told me the same thing. He like 90.5 for basking for his baby chams. I have been keeping it there and he is happy and I figure it's what he's used to. Many other people will tell you differently. Bruce (my breeder) has been doing it for 30 years or something and he had some gorgeous happy healthy chams. I feel like I gotta listen to him.

My panther baby came from a really reputable breeder who told me the same thing. He like 90.5 for basking for his baby chams. I have been keeping it there and he is happy and I figure it's what he's used to. Many other people will tell you differently. Bruce (my breeder) has been doing it for 30 years or something and he had some gorgeous happy healthy chams. I feel like I gotta listen to him.
Same here. Kammerflage has been caring for/breeding Panther chameleons for
38 years. I would think they know what they’re talking about.

Care sheet here says...
Temperature:
Baby/juvenile (<9 months): ambient 72-80F (22-26C), basking 82F (28C)
Adult males: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 85-90F (29-32C)
Adult females: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 80-85F (26-29C)

I'm a little surprised; I would have thought baby/juvies might like it a bit warmer than adults, as with some other species. Maybe that's what the breeders are saying? ?‍♂️

Reptiles Magazine seems to split the difference:
Adult panther chameleons need a basking spot of around 100 degrees Fahrenheit with the ambient temperature between 75 to 85 degrees; with a lower ambient temperature of around 75 degrees.
They also have an article by Ed Kammer, but it doesn't break down basking temp by age.

Chameleon Academy says:
For [basking] temperature we are looking for something in the mid to upper 80s. But the exact temperature is not that important. It is more important to set it up so you feel a warm and gentle heat on the back of your hand when you place it where the top of the head of your chameleon would be when he is basking. Your main purpose is to set up a safe temperature to start with and then you will adjust the bulb distance based on your chameleon’s behavior. (more...)

It's a good question. I'm inclined to try mid 80s, and see what happens, modifying it per behavior. :unsure:

I emailed the Kammers to double check what they were advising and they confirmed that’s what they keep their babies at. I don’t know. It’s all so confusing. Lol!!! I feel I should probably go with what the breeder says, they do have 38 years of experience and their Panther chameleons are extremely beautiful and healthy.

This is what it says on Kammerflage’s care sheet:
Heat: In addition to the UVB bulb, an incandescent bulb is necessary to provide proper heating. When it comes to setting up the appropriate temperature gradient, keep in mind that panthers do best in an ambient room temperature that remains in the low - mid 70's. Wattage of your heat bulb will depend on a couple things such as cage size, and ambient room temperature, so have a thermometer handy so that you can make sure that your temperatures are suitable. Panthers should be provided with a basking site that reaches 88 – 93F.

Back
Top Bottom