Basking question?

Dgood

Established Member
Hello everyone I just have a quick question about my lighting issue. I have a 75 watt zoomed basking bulb for my female jacksons about 6 months old. She lives in a 24x24x48 her basking area keeps getting too hot (86-87) and i raised the lamp up as much as i culd and its still too hot so I was just wondering if I could use a normal 40 watt 330 lumen house bulb instead.thanks :D

Cool! I'll give it a shot. I'm sure it will bring the temp to where it needs to be. Thanks for responding so quickly :D much appreciated!!

That's exactly what I used on my Jackson's, a 40w incandescent. No two homes are the same, but a 40w put his basking spot at about 80-82F (he was also in a 4' x 2' screen cage) so that will probably be perfect.

The reptile specific basking lights (just heat lights, not the ones that produce UVB) are a scam to get you to pay more for what a normal incandescent or halogen from a home improvement store can do as well for a fraction of the price ;)

Ha you were exactly right! I switched the bulbs and it's exactly at 82:D. She is housed in the basement so in the winter I could probably use the actual heat bulb. Thank you guys for all the helpful info :)

Ha you were exactly right! I switched the bulbs and it's exactly at 82:D. She is housed in the basement so in the winter I could probably use the actual heat bulb. Thank you guys for all the helpful info :)

So it's better to get a bulb from walmart instead of going to the petstore getting one? do you have a pic of how it looks?

So it's better to get a bulb from walmart instead of going to the petstore getting one? do you have a pic of how it looks?

Yes! You can totally get the basking light from Walmart/Home Depot, as long as you have a proper UVB bulb from a reptile brand (like Reptisun, Reptiglo, Arcadia, etc., these you can not get anywhere else). I use Philips or GE brand white incandescent or halogen bulbs I buy from Lowe's for a few dollars.

Just a normal bulb, like this: http://www.lowes.com/pd_477793-1684...L=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

I like buying the multi-packs, that way I always have spares in case I need them. Murphy's law dictates that they'll always break at the worst possible moment, (like 10 minutes before you're supposed to catch a flight out of state) so I buy the packs to always be stocked.

I can get a picture up but it might take 30 min or so because I have to use my phone...... But I'll put some up.

I guess I can't put any pics up until Friday so I can pay my phone bill....... Ha but as soon as I can I'll post some pics

Back
Top Bottom