Basking light to hot?

tryme

When misting my veiled he climbed out his cage and went on top to get nearer to his lamp. Problem is, he's been there for a while now and he's started opening his mouth. I red that this means it's to hot for him, the thing is I was thinking if he knows it's to hot why doesn't he just move? Here's a pic..

Just this minute he's moved but his mouth is still open. I thought i'd ask any way.

How many watt is that bulb? I would not let him get that close to the bulb, because it could burn him. He could reach out and touch it! Typically that is what opening their mouth means, that they are too hot. I would have yanked his behind right out from under that light, and he would have been back in his cage as soon as I saw that going on lol.

Oops.. it's a 40watt he seems ok now he was very bright afterwards. I know it was stupid, I think he wanted to heat up after the misting or something lol.

My veiled is 7Months old now would it be ok for temps to be at 95F now (35C). Also would it matter if temps get to around 36-37C? As I am a bit worried because the closer to the lamp I measured the closer it reaches to about 37ish, although I was thinking he doesn't actually get that close to it as it isn't really possible in his basking spot so I measured from about 2 inches away which is where he usually stands at the temps are at 34-35C

I woudlnt let him do that again, looks very dangerous, temperature wise you obviously only have to measure at the closest point he can get to the lamp

Back
Top Bottom