Basking light and perching placement

Chammy007

Established Member
Hi there, how far below the basking light should the plant/branch that the Cham perches on be?thanks so much.chammy007

Hi there, how far below the basking light should the plant/branch that the Cham perches on be?thanks so much.chammy007
Depends on the bulb you're using, wattage, ambient temps. There's no 1 size, 1 bulb, 1 distance. You need to experiment with different bulbs and heights using infrared thermometer and digital probe

Start with a 50w. Or 100w with a dimming thermostat and you'll never have to ask this question or think about it again. You set the temp you want and thermostat handles the rest.

Hello again, thanks so much. If the perching branch is too close to the basking light could it potentially harm/burn the Cham?

Hello again, if the perching branch is too close to the basking light could it potentially harm/burn the Cham?
Usually six to eight inches from the top of the cage for the highest perch..They sense heat from above but are relatively numb to it from below so if they climb up on the top of the screen and hang upside down they can suffer burns. I always start with a 75w and go up from there if needed. I base the needs by the size of the enclosure the material -screen or glass, the species and the color and behavior of my chams if I'm still unsure I'll check the higher basking area with my solar meter. 85 to 90 is a good basking temp at the highest perch however you should supply your cham with several various basking distances from the basking light to allow the chameleon to thermoregulate like a ladder to the sun. If you notice he's always at the top of his perches flattened out or dark in color for more than an hour in the morning it could mean your bulb is to little heat to warm him to optimum temps. And vise versa if he/she is bright green or full of color and chilling looking happy then your good but if they are very pale and hiding from the light seeking shade and at the bottom it may be too Intense a heat. Watch your lizards behavior he/she will tell you how it feels. Also use your hand.. if you dint have a mesure of heat hold your hand against the top of the cage with the basking light on and primed. If it burns you it could burn them. It should feel like a hot summer day but not burn you within a matter of minutes.. oh lol also use a thermostat and tape or velcro it to the basking area branch for a few minutes to give you a quick read.

Last edited:
Hello again, thanks so much. If the perching branch is too close to the basking light could it potentially harm/burn the Cham?
Also i never have the basking light flat on the screen top. I prop it up with either the clamp or the built in props or heat guard.

Yes it will. Kinda common sense. Would you burn your hand if you touched the bulb while it's been on for 10hrs straight? If your UVB light is too close or too strong it can potentially do the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom