Basking light alternatives?

Mad Dog Murphy

Established Member
Just a quickie, has anyone ever tried using an alternative heating method regarding basking? I ask because I recently made another brooder for chicks and opted for a heater tube, like the ones used In greenhouse,,worked really well through a thermostat and was certainly more energy efficient and safer considering there substrate Is bone dry wood shavings. your thoughts

So some people will use a CHE aka Ceramic Heat Emitter... I personally do not like them. I have seen quite a few thermal burns with these. Also as stated chams go to the light for warmth. Like if your outside and your cold but you see a sunny spot you know to go to it to warm up.

So the recommended bulb is still a white bulb most typically an incandescent. I would avoid the intense heat basking bulbs these too can produce a thermal burn.

Yeah mine likes the brighter light. I've got a bright plant light raised up a little, otherwise it's far too hot if he climbs on the ceiling. It's the 100w Sansi Light. I only run the dedicated basking one when it's cold.

Yeah mine likes the brighter light. I've got a bright plant light raised up a little, otherwise it's far too hot if he climbs on the ceiling. It's the 100w Sansi Light. I only run the dedicated basking one when it's cold.
Hi when you say the dedicated one what bulb do you mean ? .

Back
Top Bottom