Basic 24x24x48 Wooden Enclosure w/ Stand Material list

CrazyChamLady13

I got asked yesterday to make a list of items I use for my enclosures. I went though today and gathered that info. Now I have some of the corner pieces so whats on the list is approximately what you'll need. I DO NOT have the exact dimensions on each cut of wood right now.

This list is for a wooden screened chameleon enclosure at recommended size of 24x24x48.
Dimensions as the enclosure with stand: 24x24x70
Dimensions inside 24x24x48
Dimensions of stand 24x24x24

Materials:
Frame 2x2x8 Spruce - Pine Furring Strip $1.78 x6 or 7 Lowes
Door 1x2x8 Spruce - Pine Furring Strip $0.87 x4 to 5 Lowes
Hardware:
1" Corner Braces 4pk - Walmart sells them for about $2 each x10
Heavy Duty Corner Braces 2" for Stand 2pk for $3 x4 at Walmart
Screen:
48"x25' Charcoal Aluminum Screen $30 Lowes - If you put a back on your enclosure like I'm going to, then you might be able to have enough for 2 enclosures.

Optional Material for Stand:
1/4x4x4 Oak Plywood or Birch $16.92 x2 Covers back and stands sides.
1/4x2x4 Oak or Birch Plywood $8.52 Covers bottom of stand and middle separated the stand and enclosure...
(The 2 separate sizes of plywood is cheaper than buying 2 of the same size.)

*These prices are for my area and may change elsewhere.*
Yes a wooden enclosure will cost more. But to me a wooden enclosure is better since you can make a custom size that you want. This is my opinion.

Hope this helps anyone that wants to build just a basic wooden enclosure.
*I will have info on drainage soon!*
*Pic is a 27x33x75" Enclosure and my crazy 4 year old*

Attachments

• cage6.jpg
    cage6.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 584
Here's my parts list.

I like it!!
I just finished an enclosure for my Mellers. The dimensions are 2'x3'x4'
I used:
8pcs 1"x2"x8'
1 (half sheet) 1/8"x2'x4' MDF for the back (a slight change for me)
1 - 3/8"x2'x4' Birch plywood (less sanding, slight more expensive)
1 qt of semi-gloss polyurethane
1.5 rolls of hardware mesh 1/4"x30"x10'

IMG_3097_zpsb6f41169.jpg

null_zps89d59aa8.jpg

I like it!!
I used:
8pcs 1"x2"x8'

IMG_3097_zpsb6f41169.jpg

null_zps89d59aa8.jpg

Looks great! Did you need any special tools or just the basic hammer and screwdriver type things?

Looks great! Did you need any special tools or just the basic hammer and screwdriver type things?

Thanks!
This time around the only thing different that I used was a pneumatic nail gun. Everything else was basic hand tools; miter box/saw, drill, drywall screws, square, staple gun.

I like it!!
I used:
8pcs 1"x2"x8'

IMG_3097_zpsb6f41169.jpg

null_zps89d59aa8.jpg

Nice build... might start using your ideal instead of spending excess money on corner bracket lol. $30-$40 on just those is too much!

That is nice...I did draw up plans a while ago for when I was going to build the bigger cage for my veiled...I think I saw them around here somewhere yesterday in the mad cap scramble while setting up the new panther baby's cage and looking thru books/mags for proper panther temps and humidity. I was going to use the same setup without the braces. I was even thinking of, if I got ambitious enough, busting out a router and making a trim for it or just beveling the edges. If you are really good, you could even get a jig for dovetailing and that would really hold the corners.

That is nice...I did draw up plans a while ago for when I was going to build the bigger cage for my veiled...I think I saw them around here somewhere yesterday in the mad cap scramble while setting up the new panther baby's cage and looking thru books/mags for proper panther temps and humidity. I was going to use the same setup without the braces. I was even thinking of, if I got ambitious enough, busting out a router and making a trim for it or just beveling the edges. If you are really good, you could even get a jig for dovetailing and that would really hold the corners.

Firstly, 0P great job. Secondly, a dovetail is not needed here. The load that the corners will take dont really need braces either. A basic butt-joint with wood glue and support screws is more than enough for chameleons... Now if we were housing a larger monitor that likes smashing into the walls... Thats another case. A trim would look good though. Id use a lathe and get some really nice filigrain on the legs. If I was going to do that much work then I probably would do a dovetail for looks, haha.

Thank you! I've converted one of my old enclosures into a outdoor cat house.
Main reason why I used the corner pieces was to support the heavy pothos lol.

plan on doing something similar to both designs for a 2x2x4 however my house could be fairly cold in the winter so was thinking of getting a 4x8 sheet of plywood. ill still have more or less exact same style you have but the centres i cut out from the plywood i would keep and be able to put back on and hold in place with some sort of latch (similar to how the backs of some picture frames) than remove them once it warms up again. think the top front and probably one other side will always be meshing

Back
Top Bottom