Barack Obama of chameleons

I WANT CHANGE. I want to know if there's any other species of chameleons I can work with and maybe breed besides veiled or panthers or jacksons.

How about flapneck Senegals ouslets verocus ect.

Has any one worked with them? Any other suggestions

out of your list I've bred flapnecks and oustalets and kept verucosus.

Verucosus are best for really advanced keepers IMO. I found it difficult to get a pair where both individuals were healthy.

Flapnecks are good, but again, sometimes hard to find healthy animals. Not impossible though. If you can find captive hatched or captive bred they are easy. If not, wild lifespan is pretty short (couple years or less) and the clock is ticking for most wild caught adults. Worth it if you are trying to breed them and/or don't mind the expense of veterinary assistance getting them cleaned up after purchase so they have a better shot at a nice long life in your terraria. Also, delipis has a wide natural distibution and sometimes comes into the pet trade in various locales that are particularly nice- similar to panther chameleons. Either the throat is particularly bright or unusually colored, or the flaps are little larger or the green is a bit brighter or the body is a bit larger or smaller, depending on where they come from- which as far as I know is a bit of luck and they haven't been mapped out like say panthers where you can just pick the locale you want.

Senegals, like flapnecks, are cheap, but senegals more often are heavily parasitized and sick and they also have a very short natural lifespan, so the clock for most of them is definately ticking when they are purchased- moreso than the flapnecks. I really don't recommend them unless you can get a rare captive hatched, or unless you are serious about trying to establish a captive population.

But my favorite on your list are the oustalets. Males grow huge- one of the largest and heaviest chameleons, are easy like panthers and veileds, and have incredible scalation that just make them look awesome- like fantasy dragons or trolls or something. They tend to have really great personalities as well. They aren't the most brightly colored, but the subtle coloring they do have is amazing up close and the detail gives the scales on their head some "pop".

So, that's what I'd recommend - oustalets if you can spare the space for a large cage and the insects for a large appetite- you will get a large personality in return.

Last edited:
I'm partial to any Kinyongia at the moment. Montane are my specialty so there are lots to choose from. Deremensis are nice. Quadricornis, one of personal favorites.

Once you get past the "trendy" chameleons, you'll see that there are a lot of really unique species out there that not a lot of people are keeping. Availability is sometimes a big stumbling block however.

There is a pix in the chameleon handbook of a verocus and oustalet mix. it is dead unfortunately. but apparently possible.

I don't want people on this website to think I'm some kind of inexperinced seven year old I know all about how to keep chameleons alive and have books that show all the species and I know there are some cool variations out there . But the thing I haven't had with chameleons is time I've only kept chams for 3 years so I know what I'm doing but just haven't had the time to keep and breed all kind of differnt species and was wondering if anyone had any extra imput on the situation.

I mentioned the chams I did because I see there realitivly avalibe and some are really unique . I think it's not only me who feels that they don't mind sustainable collection of these species from the wild but would much rather prefer a CBB individual.

And just because the track record show some of these species don't last long in captivity dosent mean they always will die . We can only learn new things about species by properly keeping them and observing them to further our knoedge on how there best cared for and then use that information to advance our hobby and our pets health further.

oooh OK

that changes everything

in that case my vote is go with the senegals

Or wait. Are we having the same conversation?

Check out the back issue's of Chameleon News. There are reports on lateralis, dilepis and senegalensis. Care, breeding and general keeping are covered.

Lateralis are no doubt the easiest. They are readily available and pretty much trouble free to keep. Babies are easy to raise. Support the breeders who have worked hard for many generations with this species and buy captive.

As mentioned dilepis has a few sub species and there are species that are very similar to dilepis. Read the e-zine article by Steven Deckers. It covers the species group really well. The species group can be difficult to adjust to captivity and take work in the first few month's of keeping them to get them really thriving.

Again as mentioned senegalensis is another nice species. The biggest hurdle with this species is getting good animals from the start. Once you have them cleaned up and settled in they are easy to keep. I'll repeat it again getting good animals from the start is critical.

Carl

Request for Change

I am selling Captive Bred Graceful Chameleons. See link below:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/captive-bred-graceful-chameleons-55-5-6-month-olds-118167/

There are members here who are very happy with some of them see the following links:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/tate-6-months-old-photos-118615/

https://www.chameleonforums.com/mikhail-decides-go-outside-118490/

Here is a gallery of some of the ones I have for sale:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/members/terrylund-albums-captive-bred-graceful-chameleons.html

I think they are a beautiful species of chameleon and a little under rated. I find them to have a very nice temperament and are pretty hardy.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Terry

Back
Top Bottom