Banded Crickets...The Super Cricket!!

Big Gulp

Established Member
I've always used the regular house crickets that you can find at Petco/Petsmart/Etc.

Well, I finally decided to try banded crickets. I picked up 2,000 back in Oct at a reptile show (you can order from many places online). As of today, I have not had one die. None. Zero. Ziltch!

Amazing. Anyone who's had the house crickets before now how easy those buggers die off. And when that happens, they also start to smell pretty bad.

Other benefits of banded crickets over house crickets:

*Easier to digest
*More active (tho this also means they jump a lot higher)
*Don't smell as bad as the house cricets
*More protein than the house cricket

Just wanted to share with those who have not switched yet.

I know the banded are populair in the US since other crickets seem to die off more for some reason.

Personally I disliked crickets because of the noise they produce and the way they always seem to escape in to your home and haunt it for days.

While back I tried Gryllus Assimilis (plains cricket?) and I have never ordered any other species of cricket since. I'm even considering breeding them.

The advantages:
- almost no sounds
- they don't jump around as much/far
- almost no smell
- little to no escapees
- little die off/stronger than te house cricket
- they need higher temps so if they escape they die faster in most homes.
- they have more meat on them so higher nutritious value.

I know the banded are populair in the US since other crickets seem to die off more for some reason.

Personally I disliked crickets because of the noise they produce and the way they always seem to escape in to your home and haunt it for days.

While back I tried Gryllus Assimilis (plains cricket?) and I have never ordered any other species of cricket since. I'm even considering breeding them.

The advantages:
- almost no sounds
- they don't jump around as much/far
- almost no smell
- little to no escapees
- little die off/stronger than te house cricket
- they need higher temps so if they escape they die faster in most homes.
- they have more meat on them so higher nutritious value.
Where do you get the Plains cricket?

Back
Top Bottom