Bamboo

Stanly

Hey I was thinking about using bamboo in Max's cage (my panther chameleon), both as decor and perches. Would this be safe? Also is there any thing you can treat wood/bamboo that would be safe (like polyurethane) ?

Lot's of people use bamboo in their cages from the store. We bought wooden dowels that are really cheap. You just buy a longer one and you can cut it to size and have extra for when you need to change them. I don't know about protecting it, especially with polyurethane. Just go with cheap wooden dowels.

We also went to the pet store and bought wooden ladders that go in a birds cage for our 2 panthers to perch on. They LOVE them. The dye does run off but it's safe for animals and it never affected the chams. They're inexpensive as well and very sturdy.

Yeah I know about dowels just a wasn't sure if bamboo was safe. I'm looking at it more for looks than price.

I know people do use bamboo, so it's safe. But as far as coating them with something, that I have no idea about. You're better off finding inexpensive bamboo, rather than the expensive stuff in pet stores, so you can replace it when needed and it'll still look awesome.

I have had bamboo in some of my outdoor cages for years. It works very well. It provides excellent coverage and hiding spots and a lot of places to climb.
Better yet, the plant can be easily divided by breaking up the rootball when the plant starts to have too much foilage. Now you would have two plants. Then it would time to get another cham:)

Its important that you know that "lucky bamboo" which isnt actually a type of bamboo is toxic. But real bamboo is fine.

Thanks for the helpful replies all. Normal bamboo = good, lucky bamboo = not so lucky! Got it :)

Lot's of people use bamboo in their cages from the store. We bought wooden dowels that are really cheap. You just buy a longer one and you can cut it to size and have extra for when you need to change them. I don't know about protecting it, especially with polyurethane. Just go with cheap wooden dowels.

We also went to the pet store and bought wooden ladders that go in a birds cage for our 2 panthers to perch on. They LOVE them. The dye does run off but it's safe for animals and it never affected the chams. They're inexpensive as well and very sturdy.

That's a GREAT tip about the wooden bird cage ladders! Thanks

I would imagine that dried bamboo could harbor mold or fungus if it got sprayed enough times. I could be wrong of course.

I use wooden dowels cut to cage width and thumb tack them in place through the screen. One tack on each side of the rod.

"Lucky bamboo" OK for you

Its important that you know that "lucky bamboo" which isnt actually a type of bamboo is toxic. But real bamboo is fine.

I think you have mis-stated the facts. "Lucky bamboo"'is a _Dracaena_, usually D. sanderiana, and its not toxic. You are correct in stating that it is not a bamboo.

No problem for the bird ladder idea! The best part is they come in different sized and thicknesses. So depending on your chams age/size you can get ladders with thicker dowels in between or thinner. Our chams are obsessed with them and bask on them all day long. Shooter loves to stick his head between the dowels and check you out haha.

No problem for the bird ladder idea! The best part is they come in different sized and thicknesses. So depending on your chams age/size you can get ladders with thicker dowels in between or thinner. Our chams are obsessed with them and bask on them all day long. Shooter loves to stick his head between the dowels and check you out haha.

haha yeah that seems like it would be cool. sorta a jungle "jungle gym" ;)

i noticed

that at first my chameleon couldnt get a grip on the bamboo very well.. so i took them out one at a time and sanded them so he could grip his claws better into the wood and it seems to be fine!

Back
Top Bottom